Render error artifact bits...??

Started by jar862, December 19, 2014, 05:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jar862

Working on a render that's 3600x3600. When I did a cropped full size test render I get weird errors in the rendering. I've attached an image of the close up render at full resolution plus an overall shot in case that helps at all. The scene so far is pretty simple. 5 fake stone layers into a surface child bit. That's on top of 2 surface layers to give the base ground shape.

The bucket size is set to 16x16 which matches up with the rough size and shape of the errors. I don't know if that makes a difference at all.

Anyone know what's going on and what the solution is?

jar862

Sorry, I think I should have put this in the Discussion section... still new to the forum.

Oshyan

Bucket size is 16x16? That's *incredibly* small. We *strongly* recommend against making such adjustments to the default render parameters unless you have a very good reason to do so. What you are probably seeing is bucket borders that are showing up due to the tiny size of your render buckets. 128x128 or 256x256 are better options.

- Oshyan

jar862

Thanks. I'll give it a try. It's a spill over from Blender where 16x16 is generally the best size for CPU renders. Just assumed it would be the case here as well.

Oshyan

Ah, no indeed. Terragen uses a completely different, proprietary renderer, so it's unlikely that any settings from other renderers will directly translate over. Hopefully it resolves your problem, let us know if not. :)

- Oshyan