Get "mask" from Fake Stones?

Started by WAS, December 27, 2014, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Can't seem to find anything quite related to this just a lot of fake stone help in general. So, fake stones has a output, of course. But I notice if you 'preview' the texture, it's just a normal PF (or appears to be). So my question is, can I product a mask of the density of a fake stones layer?

Or would this be better achieved by spending the time plotting out where each stone should go via image map or painted shader?

For example, I am using the Grass Clump population, with fake stones. And I'd like the grass not to generate near the stones borders as to help prevent clipping. My scene though was going to be a field though, so I am trying to go procedural to save a enormous amount of time in the technique.

I know I asked similar with objects, but I figured since a Fake Stones Shader has a PF-sort-of output it may be able to work out some how. Perhaps a way to use the scalar/vector functions to 'find' the displacements and color them? i'm not sure. I'm just now playing with them and so far just lots of oopsies. Lol

For example in this image (don't mind my 'crystal' like gold and tripped out DoF. Oops lol) the grass around the left side seems to grow into the rock giving it a flat look.

bobbystahr

Add a Distribution shader to your Pop Grass clump 01 Mask ,select Fakestones from the right click in the Mask of the Dist. shader and invert, then in Tweaks on the Dist. shader set Fuzzy zone softness to 0.
Repopulate and be amazed.

if you read this thread before I've just corrected the method
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 28, 2014, 04:35:25 PM
Add a Distribution shader to your Pop Grass clump 01 Mask ,select Fakestones from the right click in the Mask of the Dist. shader and invert, then in Tweaks on the Dist. shader set Fuzzy zone softness to 0.
Repopulate and be amazed.

if you read this thread before I've just corrected the method

Awesome! Thank you! I knew there had to be a way, but inverting it,and the fuzzy zone were not in my level of thought at all. Thanks so much.

bobbystahr

The way it was explained to me the Fakestones are created via an internal black and white mask and you can get the edges even sharper using a Colour adjust shader I was told but had no need as yet to try.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

Thank you Bobby, that's a new one on me and very useful it will be.

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on December 29, 2014, 05:12:06 AM
Thank you Bobby, that's a new one on me and very useful it will be.

you're welcome and yup, endless uses.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New