improvement to the render viewer - applcication improvement request

Started by ronthedon, December 20, 2014, 04:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronthedon

Hey guys,

I haven't used TG in a while ... and just had a look at TG3 (I have used TG2 a bit in the past) ... congrats!!! Awesome improvements! 

I especially like:
- how easy it has become to export lights and cameras to other applications
- the new render layers
... and of course a lot more

However back to the topic I am meaning to discuss ....:

The one other thing I had really hoped for in TG3 was the possibility to have more than one image in the render viewer so we can quickly compare renders.  What I mean is that if I render a certain view, then change a parameter and hit render again I would love to have a timeline-like slider and a bunch of comparing functions so i can see where and what exactly my changes took affect.  I.e. Houdini has a very nice implementation in their mPlay.

Is this at all on the todo-list or is it already hidden somewhere and I am missing something here?   

cheers
Ron

Oshyan

We do have this kind of functionality in mind for the future, though I don't know specifically when it might become available. It's been a somewhat common feature request before though, so we're certainly aware of it and interested in making it happen when possible.

- Oshyan

Brrrt

You could just make an incremental save and open it in another TG window

Oshyan

If you enable saving of temporary output files, every render you do is saved in a folder (you can specify the location and format, we recommend compressed TIF). You can then use a standard image viewer/editor such as the free XnView MP (cross-platform, supports many formats, free) to view images as a stack easily and quickly. That's a fairly effective workaround for now, I think.

- Oshyan

ronthedon

Thx Oshian and Brrrt,

I have manually saved out images and compared in mPlay in the past. 
I never noticed the saving of temporary output files until going through the TG3 preferences a couple of days ago, although I now know it's been there already. 
It definitely helps, however it's still a bit cumbersome for i.e. look dev and tweaking of render settings - especially when being a spoiled bratt due to tools like houdini/maya and so forth :P

Great to know it's on the books for the future  though :)

milens

WAS

Quote from: milens on July 31, 2018, 11:40:40 PM
Is this function ever added to the terragen 4?

Viewing a timeline of renders per-project? No, this is not a feature yet. Though it would be nice. It would also be nice to be able to import a fully rendered image to the Preview Window after a render so one could very accurately make judgements. With the preview paused you could very accurately discern area you need to measure, get altitude, position, or slope. Basically just a overlay to use as a "guide" for the preview based on the last render.

milens

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 01, 2018, 02:27:17 AM
Quote from: milens on July 31, 2018, 11:40:40 PM
Is this function ever added to the terragen 4?

Viewing a timeline of renders per-project? No, this is not a feature yet. Though it would be nice. It would also be nice to be able to import a fully rendered image to the Preview Window after a render so one could very accurately make judgements. With the preview paused you could very accurately discern area you need to measure, get altitude, position, or slope. Basically just a overlay to use as a "guide" for the preview based on the last render.

Yeah for sure, also it would be great option for people who learning terragen to see what certain setting does when you change values, sometimes is really hard to see slight changes. And with scarse of documentation they should definitely add it. I love terragen but they should definitely put more love to it.