Planetary render artifacts

Started by Erwin0265, January 09, 2015, 07:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

Hey all,
I've been doing some playing around with planetary clouds and have finally got something that looks pretty much OK.
I made a render {(8000 x 4500), cloud quality = 0.64375, detail = 0.8 and AA = 4} and have ended up with a small area with some strange artifacts (attached are a full size crop of the region and a 10% sized image of the entire render to show where the artifacts are popping up).
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
I think that the issue may lie with the Planetary shader which I am currently using for these cloud experiments but wanted to ask advise regarding this and whether there was anything I could do [other than not use the planetary shader or fix in post]...........
FYI - the planetary shader is set to default on Planet_01, so there has been no moving (other than the camera  :) ).
Any suggestions?
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

You mean the "Planetary Shader" that has been hidden for ages and not developed further since its inclusion in an experimental state in TG2? ;)

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

Yep, that's the one!
It may be buggy as all hell (and may be the culprit wrt the artifacts) but it can produce some beautiful planets; especially for us noobies who can't yet produce better planets ourselves............
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

Yeah. Unfortunately we can't provide support for it anymore. It's certainly possible that changes to Terragen have broken it since that shader was last updated. You can try shifting around some render settings, minimizing your scene (e.g. turning off cloud layers), test it in crop renders of just that area, see if it happens at lower resolutions, etc. But it may not be easily solved...

- Oshyan

Dune

It looks like some unclamped negative value somewhere.

Erwin0265

OK then; I'll just play and if all else fails - fix it in post..............
Thanks
OK, who farted?