adding a precise slope to a flat surface with a SimpShape?

Started by TheBadger, December 20, 2014, 01:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey again,

If you have a shape that is flat on top, can you use a simple shape to make one end lower than the other?

For example, think of a large rectangular block in TG as a mountains form (created however) where to top is totally flat. Now say you want to take one of the sides of the length and lower it to create a slope on top of some degree, how would you do this? And, if it can be done, can it also be done precisely? So an exact slope degree of some number (in my case it would be a small number) like whatever the slope of the river I am trying to make is in reality.

There are two reasons I am asking
1) I would like to be really close to the real river that I am trying to mimic.
2) I want to try some fluid sims on a TG terrain in maya. and I want the "water" to flow at a rate that is correct for the slope.

This is partially for just knowing/curiosity and partially because I want to see how close I can get to reality using real world info in CG. And where precisely *I* have to compromise between reality and my system and software limitations.
Also, this is for first, the Iceland stuff. But I have also long wanted to do a waterfall in TG with Maya (either by import or composite) so I think these are as good of reasons as any to try to do this and see how it works or does not.

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

Dune

You might be able using a distance shader to create a gradient, or an image map with a gradient (16bit). Or a soft SSS and a shifted hard SSS with some sort of merge.

TheBadger

Quotean image map with a gradient

lol  ;D thats pretty clever! I would probably never thought of it to try. Don't know if it will work but fun to see.

I guess what I would want to do it make a selection of my shape. Then put the gradient over that and save out a make of the gradient shape. Then in TG, just make small adjustments to the amount of displacement, and use the heads up to see what the slope is. Not bad really.

16bit tiff... I guess it needs to be a very fine transition and a normal 8bit would not be even?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Ah, yeah, that works just fine. And of course now I see that If I can do everything else that I can do with an image map shader than it should have been obvious that I could do this... Don't know why I thought this was different.   :-\ Well thanks!
It has been eaten.

Dune

TheBadger

Oh man guys, I really dont know why I get so rigged in my thinking about how TG works. I did a really simple test of the method Ulco brought up, with the gradient. IT also solved another problem I had with image maps and never got around.

The gradient totally solves the entry exit to a canyon. I mean the gradient tool. Thats what I mean by rigged thinking. Its not that I didn't know about the tool and what it does, its that I did not think to use it before for this. Even though that should have been plainly obvious to me.  :-[

It is just strange how you can know how to do all the parts of anything you want to do, but not see how to put it together simply... Sigh.
Its enough to make one feel pretty dumb. My only redemption now will to be to make a good render to save face... sigh.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Yes, how about showing what secret you're up to. SHOW US!

Oshyan

You do tend to over and/or under think things sometimes Badger. ;) My suggestion stands: try stuff!

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 21, 2014, 03:15:14 AM
Yes, how about showing what secret you're up to. SHOW US!

Hear! Hear!....got me curious as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Its not that impressive guys. Well not in and of its self. Its basically just what I have been talking about here and in other threads. I am simply trying to make things easier on my self, and build my own clips, while working on the Iceland contest. I am taking the opportunity the contest provided me (its dead line and such) to try just about everything I ever wanted to do in TG  ;D

Anything that looks good to me, I will post. But don't expect too much until the end of January, and even then I shouldn't let anyones expectations get to high. I don't even try to be the best TG user (lost cause for me), I just try to keep up... reasonably.

I appreciate your optimism though!!  ;D 8)
It has been eaten.

Dune

Well, you're just one of the guys that we like to keep in our midst  ;)

bobbystahr

What Dune said...often what you ask about sends me off in a direction I'd no idea about, maybe not an answer for you but of value to me...keep on tweaking....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist