Have you seen me?

Started by The Dome, December 31, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dome

Hi guys, a simple question if you don't mind.

When I started playing with Terragen some time ago, I was going through numerous tutorials and I've seen one that was very, very helpful and well-written. Unfortunately I lost it somewhere, probably deleted, and I can't find it now. As luck would have it, I could use it now!

Perhaps some of you have it and know what I'm talking about - the tutorial was about creating waterfalls, using pre-made masks (from photoshop I suppose) it touched upon some simple functions too and had a picture of a node network that is used to create "masked waterfalls". Most importantly - it was in a PDF file.

Unfortunately I can't remember who was the author of this masterpiece, but I would appreciate much if you could help me find it. I guess there are not many pdf format tutorials on that topic in the Internet, so maybe you do know what I'm referring to?

TheBadger

I have it 2. One is a PDF like you say, but it uses blue nodes, not image maps. Not sure if I can post it here? Its by Paul Carpenter.

There is also this one.
http://terragen.deviantart.com/art/Terragen-Waterfall-Tutorial-1188879
It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on December 31, 2014, 10:57:38 PM
I have it 2. One is a PDF like you say, but it uses blue nodes, not image maps. Not sure if I can post it here? Its by Paul Carpenter.

There is also this one.
http://terragen.deviantart.com/art/Terragen-Waterfall-Tutorial-1188879

Does it have a disclaimer asking not to redistribute it? Otherwise it's a learning resource. I'm definitely interested. I'm not too good with functions yet so looking for basic areas to start.

Dune

I have a free waterfall file on NWDA, which might be of use to you.

TheBadger

I tend to agree that things that are posted for free are ok to share forward, I think the law and norms are on the side of sharing in these cases. I think the only problem is when people use the material to sell or promote them selves.
But I don't like to share things that are not clearly marked for that.
Even so, this is really old, and I could not find a link after a bit of looking. But it does have the writers name, so if you use it and like it, you can find him to thank him if you like.

All credit to Paul Carpenter.
It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 01, 2015, 03:38:01 AM
I have a free waterfall file on NWDA, which might be of use to you.

Like a TGD or object? I'm confused, sorry xD

Quote from: TheBadger on January 01, 2015, 09:23:37 AM
I tend to agree that things that are posted for free are ok to share forward, I think the law and norms are on the side of sharing in these cases. I think the only problem is when people use the material to sell or promote them selves.
But I don't like to share things that are not clearly marked for that.
Even so, this is really old, and I could not find a link after a bit of looking. But it does have the writers name, so if you use it and like it, you can find him to thank him if you like.

All credit to Paul Carpenter.

Yeah that is true. I see that stuff on DeviantArt. "look at this awesome poster made sosouly from clip files, now buy it!"

Thanks though, will check it. Need to learn how to use water on surfaces bad haha