Rock Study

Started by Inscrutable, July 30, 2007, 05:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inscrutable

Just a couple of the same setting with and without a "frosty" layer.  I was aiming to get a nice rough texture on the rock surface.

Please let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions to improve the texturing.  Thanks,

Inscrutable

Will

ooooo very nice, seems you have a little problem in the upper right but other than that it very convincing. please post more as you progress though the study.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

I think you've achieved your goal of rough looking rocks.  Nice job :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

I agree, a very nice looking result. Please share how it's done.

rcallicotte

Great texturing.  Vunderbar!!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

ProjectX

Quote from: moodflow on July 31, 2007, 09:42:58 AM
Nice work Calico!

He said "vunderbar!", this is difficult? :p

With regards to the actual post, amazing texturing. I'd love to see a tgc of this, I'm guessing voronoi and perlin were joined in an unholy union to produce this.

Inscrutable

Thanks guys for all your kind comments.  I'm at work at the moment but will try to post a tgc when I get home (if my computer lets me - it took 3 attempts just to boot up to the windows screen this morning  :-\ )

In the mean time, yes, ProjectX, you're right.  It's another modified "cracked face" based render (which is therefore voronoi-based) with a small scale power fractal on the top.

Inscrutable

moodflow

Very nice work for sure, Inscrutable. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

bigben

I really like the rocks.

The green looks a bit odd but it depends on what it's supposed to be. If it's algae then OK, but if it's grass then I'd be tempted to add some displacement to smooth out some of the cracks with "soil"... and maybe with some of the soil showing near the edges... Whether you use grass objects or not depends on the intended scale.