Terragen 3.2 – Podcast interview with Oshyan Greene

Started by Digital Art Live, January 09, 2015, 09:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lat 64

Can we mask it with painted shaders? Please say yes!
I see a river in my future
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!

Oshyan

You can mask it just like any other shader, so yes the Painted Shader will work. You can also texture it and add additional displacement, again just like any other shader.

Here's a higher-altitude view with some texturing added (courtesy of FrankB's NWDA planet), approximately 420km (no atmosphere of course). And speaking of masking, I added some large-scale fractal noise masking here to give a better distribution of mountains so it looks more like mountain chains and not just "all mountains, all the time". Granted a very dense area of mountains, but not out of the question. Just think of it as British Columbia: https://goo.gl/maps/fl8NH
;)

- Oshyan

AP

Stop doing that!!!    ;)

Speaking of rivers, that is the only other ingredient missing here.

Oshyan

Yeah, no rivers in this yet. But who knows what the future holds. Daniil's a clever guy, and Matt's no slouch either. :D

- Oshyan

AP

I could imagine Rivers just being a modification of the Erosion Plugin. The way to possibly think about it in a simple sense is a very less-iterated, more clamped long and wide channeled erosion.

AP

Just to add an appreciation of the realism behind the upcoming Procedural Erosion, I wanted to do a comparison of the other noise types to see how it all look from the same 160 km altitude as the Eroded image. All the other noises are Mt. Everest height.

Matt

Hi Chris,

With the Alpine Fractal, try adding 2 or 3 "lead-in octaves". This is good for creating larger structures that look like mountain ranges. But Daniil's erosion plugin is still better :)

I have some R&D in progress which specifically attempts to create river channels (and lots of them). It could be combined with Daniil's erosion, or used alone. Lots of good things are coming soon :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

paq

Hello,

For the moment a 'general' workflow is often to import WM (with erosion masks) '2D' terrain, and use terragen to give more details into vertical surfaces.
But somehow erosion 'should' be computed as a last stage, so this new feature sounds so exciting !

I'm really curious to see how this 3d erosion works on overhanging shapes. (after a strong twist and shear shader for example).

Please keep posting results  8)
Gameloft

AP

Quote from: Matt on May 19, 2015, 08:06:43 PM
Hi Chris,

With the Alpine Fractal, try adding 2 or 3 "lead-in octaves". This is good for creating larger structures that look like mountain ranges. But Daniil's erosion plugin is still better :)

I have some R&D in progress which specifically attempts to create river channels (and lots of them). It could be combined with Daniil's erosion, or used alone. Lots of good things are coming soon :)

Matt

Indeed...

Darn you, quit tempting us!

MojoWorld was the closest program to make continental-size river systems with a plug-in some fellow had made, forgot his name but that is as far as anyone had come with planetary river systems.

AP

Quote from: paq on May 19, 2015, 08:38:58 PM
Hello,

For the moment a 'general' workflow is often to import WM (with erosion masks) '2D' terrain, and use terragen to give more details into vertical surfaces.
But somehow erosion 'should' be computed as a last stage, so this new feature sounds so exciting !

I'm really curious to see how this 3d erosion works on overhanging shapes. (after a strong twist and shear shader for example).

Please keep posting results  8)

The general workflow for local terrains from World Machine and World Creator is still going to be more powerful because of the many options available. It depends on what you, the individual wants to do. The lovely thing about procedural is near-infinite scales and staying in the same software workflow.

AP

I increased those octaves and not too bad for what it is.

AP

I do have one additional question in regards to the up and coming erosion. Will we be able to erode Terragen's objects as well?

Oshyan

Uh... odd question. Technically yes, but the results may not be as expected. Why do you ask?

- Oshyan

AP

One may want it simply to have a look of being aged.