My Iceland contest entry

Started by shadow92, February 02, 2015, 06:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Quote from: shadow92 on February 10, 2015, 03:48:34 PM
after few days, here is an update:

decided to make completely different scene, didnt like the first one. This is a rough look, next I will add a clouds, some little pieces of ice on the lake and some other slight adjustments.

Just a few questions about the rules:
1 - is adding a lens flare in Photoshop allowed? Rules are saying "techniques that simulate typical lens effects" are permitted,and I just want to make sure lens flares are fitting to this category
2 - is creating a fake HDR effect in PS allowed? Not 100% sure I want to simulate this effect, but Im considering that option, so I just want to be sure its not considered as overly-enhancing adjustment

1) The Photoshopped lens flare is allowed because TG has no way to internally generate this, this is a typical lens effect so PW is the only way to achieve this. So yes to that
2) Subtle HDR is allowed but I must mention that over doing this effect may be judged 'overly-enhanced', This is something that needs to be determined on a  image by image bias of course. That said, it is allowed just use your best judgment and don't go overboard with it and you shouldn't have a problem. If there is an issue with over processing, we will ask you to resubmit the image minus the HDR. We are willing to work with you, just be mindful of the timeline. Any additional questions shoot me an email to the address listed below.
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

kalwalt

I like the last image you did. :) Imo you should focus on the landscape itself: could be interesting, as you said, in such a view some little pieces of ice in the lake and on the beach; don't worry too much on lens flares or other postwork effects, if the image will need it you will add after.  ;)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

shadow92

thanks for the kind words  :)
this is what I got so far, I think its like 90% complete. Added clouds, pieces of ice, few rocks, forrest in the BG and the pier. Last thing to add is a fishing boat parked near the pier.

inkydigit

I like the way this is coming together... the jetty/pier texture seems a bit too bright, (?) ...maybe add some grunge with some extra power fractals?
the sky is also looking great... looking forward to seeing the next one...
cheers
Jason
:)

shadow92

thanks for your advice, I reworked the pier and also darkened a texture and added some dirt/moss to it.
Also fishing boat was added and a fishnet on the pier. I adjusted camera position/rotation as well, to achieve a better composition

now I think this might be done. Now just tweak the quality settings and make a slight postprocessing before submiting.

this is raw render

Oshyan

Looks very good! With a higher quality render you should have less noise in the atmosphere and that'll help a lot. The only other little thing you might look at, if you have time (though I imagine you may already be doing your final render :D ) is the snowline on the left. Might be better if it were a little more broken up, a little less regular. Not noisy, just more patchy perhaps. Something to experiment with...

- Oshyan

shadow92

Actually I didnt submitted it yet, and this is exactly why - I wanted to hear some opinions, maybe someone spots at the last moment any issue I overlooked, like you did.
Yes, the atmosphere noise needed some tweaking, this one below looks better :) Still is there some minor noise, but on the other hand I somehow like it, reminds me that digital camera grain (especially when pointed against sun), which I think slightly adds feeling of realism to the image rather than overly smoothed and too perfect render.
About the snowline, I now played with it a little bit, but Im not that much familiar with Fractal Breakup node, and there is no time for random attempts with values. So I just adjusted it like this, breaks a snow surface a little bit.
Here you can see both raw render and final result, which is just slightly adjusted and I like it like this :)
Now I submitted it do Danny´s email listed ant NWDA´s site (thats where I have to submit it, right?)

RAW:

EDITED:

kalwalt

Nice image @shadow92, of course you can yet improve it, but this could take forever, at certain point we must stop! good luck for the contest! :)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

inkydigit

Great job!
Well done and good luck!
Cheers
Jason
:)

shadow92

thank you guys both , I appreciate it :) :) :)

As you say, kalwalt, there is also room for improvement, its my bad I didnt start earlier, but nevermind now :) Im glad I made it before deadline and Im glad you like it :)

Thanks and good luck to you both, too ;)

Oshyan

Yes, I think this looks good. Well done!

- Oshyan