Population: how to place objects at specific coordinates

Started by drongo, September 28, 2012, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drongo

Hello,

normally I add a population to a specific area using an image map shader of a black/white map. BUT how to add single objects to single points? Since it is not possible to import point-vectors or a sheed of point coordinates, I tried to create image maps with very tiny white points at my coordinates (just a few pixels). But then I have to lower the object spacing to a very small value so the population finds the small spots. But then again, I got two objects at some of the spots.
Any idea how to do this...? I don't want to add hundreds of objects by hand...

Greetings,
Drongo

jo

Hi,

There's not really any good way I'm aware of for doing this. It's something I've been thinking about adding in a future version.

Regards,

Jo

drongo

thought so..
the only way I found is quiet complicated. I created an image map of for example 10x10 Pixel > 10x10 meters and gave it to the population with an object spacing of 1 meter... see the attached result...
but this is very artificial and hard to reproduce with real data (using a GIS). Well I will try on.

Thx for the reply.
Drongo

Dune

I had the same problem when making my first medieval (winter) city; wanting rows of trees along lanes. Some small dots were missed, others got two trees. Had to hit seed until about right. So I am glad you're thinking about this, Jo! But a solution won't be easy, I think.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on September 29, 2012, 03:22:06 AM
I had the same problem when making my first medieval (winter) city; wanting rows of trees along lanes. Some small dots were missed, others got two trees. Had to hit seed until about right. So I am glad you're thinking about this, Jo! But a solution won't be easy, I think.

Making rows is super-easy. Just make a 100x1m population and set both spacing variation values to 0 and object spacing to 1.
You should have one straight row of trees perfectly spaced 1m now. Then if you increase the object spacing variation on Y a tad bit (0.2 or so) you'll still have 1m spaced trees, but they will follow a slight irregular line.
I did that in my Dutch Landscape image you may remember.

Dune

Thanks, Martin. Yes, I did know that. I used that method for one or two lanes after all, but if you have a complicated network of lanes plus normal stands of trees, it's more work  :P And it's getting complicated if you have a curved lane, like (winding) roadside trees. You can't as yet warp the population (or maybe you can, mmm...)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 29, 2012, 03:51:28 AM
Thanks, Martin. Yes, I did know that. I used that method for one or two lanes after all, but if you have a complicated network of lanes plus normal stands of trees, it's more work  :P And it's getting complicated if you have a curved lane, like (winding) roadside trees. You can't as yet warp the population (or maybe you can, mmm...)

Any luck with the warping of pops Dune...just curious....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Sorry Bobby, haven't got the chance yet. Recovering from a minor operation. But don't put your hopes up, very little chance it'll work.

drongo

bobbystahr

Quote from: drongo on May 28, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
Still not possible in Terragen 3, I guess?
Y'know I'd totally spaced this thread as I was recording music mainly in that time period. Doubt that works yet or it would have been mentioned, and there'd be a WOO HOO thread about it, other than by warping it's mask which I find handy.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune