To B in the living room (V3 on page 4)

Started by Hannes, January 21, 2015, 04:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Years ago I started to model a Hammond B3, and now I wanted to import it into TG to see how well TG handles indoor images. So it's not a typical TG image.
I reworked the organ almost completely (replaced most of the parts that had too perfect edges by more chamfered ones and improved the textures).
It's quite detailed. Every knob has the correct writing on it. It took a lot of time to find all the appropriate reference images I needed, since I never had the chance to see (or touch!) a real B3. I then modeled the bench with the cushion and of course the Leslie speaker.
The room and the carpets are made by myself as well. The plants are by Xfrog, and the rest is from Archive3D. I had to retexture all of those models, even the XFrog ones. Unfortunately the TGO versions by Xfrog are not Out of the box/ready to use, since the displacement maps are not assigned and the diffuse color is always set to 0.5 which makes most everything a bit too dark. Plus you have to set some values for translucency and specularity for the leaves. However these are great models.
The cigarette smoke is just a billboard with "cast shadows" disabled using a texture map and a water shader like Ulco described here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15757.msg154133.html#msg154133

I hated to do that, but I had to add the DOF blurred plant in PP. It's really in the scene, but unfortunately there's a known bug that produces nasty artifacts when used together with GISD (see crop render below). So I crop-rendered the plant without DOF, rendered an alpha mask (plant completely white and luminous, background black, no atmosphere, no lighting and no GI) and comped the images all together and blurred the plant.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

I am not sure that you even need that foreground plant at all...but other then that...it looks awesome Hannes :D

Hannes

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention, that I first tried to use reflection softness in the reflective shader. But I soon realised that I would have to use a lot of samples in it's quality tab to get really soft reflections, which would make the rendertimes to be measured in months instead of hours. So I did the real thing: I added subtle displacement shaders with VERY small power fractals to get a slightly rough surface. You have to render at high quality to avoid noisy areas. In this case I rendered a resolution of 2400 X 1350 px with Detail 0.8 and AA 9. In my opinion the reflection looks even better (at least for the wooden parts), since, unless it's glass, there is no perfect even surface in the real world. Even glass is probably not perfectly even, is it?
@Kadri: I wanted to have something in the foreground to get more depth, so I needed some DOF to enhance that even more.

Dune

Wow. There are give-aways, but on the whole it looks terrifyingly realistic! The lighting also.

TheBadger

You never fail to impress, Hannes.   8)  That looks like it was a LOT of work.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

otakar

What? This is out of TG? How did you get that light to be so... filling? Lighting indoor scenes seems to be the biggest challenge.  And yes, it is very hard with these complex furniture objects not make them look too angular. Incredible job on this!

Lady of the Lake

Kadri

By the way how long did it take to render Hannes?

inkydigit

The dof is annoying, only a minor crit
Loving your organ!
This is A sharp render :)
Sorry for the puns...
I love this light and detail.
Great soft reflection work around!
Cheers
Jason
:)

yossam

Damn..................just damn.  ;D

Oshyan

Wow, what a fantastic result! I love that you used displacement to get a softer reflection effect, and it worked quite well. This also looks like a scene where GISD is pretty critical, so I understand why you didn't use the native DoF. I do think maybe the GISD is just a *little* too strong (the bounce, specifically), as some of the keys seem to almost "glow" a bit in the shadows, but it is actually a nice sort of "dreamy" effect, almost like a photo filter of some kind (vaseline on the lens? :D ).

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks again! The image without the plant in the foreground took about 17 hours to render. The plant without DOF as an additional crop render only 15 minutes. The whole image with the plant, DOF and nasty artifacts took 25 hours!
To answer some of your questions at once: the only lightsources are sunlight (strength: 4.5) and environment light (strength on surfaces: 3). I really hate to use additional suns or stuff like that, because to me it looks totally unrealistic. I would have used lightsources that represent artificial lights like lamps, but I wanted to create an indoor daylight scene.
I used these high values for the lightsources to get a certain (hopefully natural) overall brightness, which made the keys a bit glow, as Oshyan said.  And yes, I confess that I made heavy use of GISD, especially occlusion weight (value: 2), to get some plasticity and depth. Bounce to the ounce is at default level.