To B in the living room (V3 on page 4)

Started by Hannes, January 21, 2015, 04:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

After a long long time I wanted to put my hands on TG again. Had (still have) a serious creativity problem. I didn't do very much 3D stuff during the last months. Rather I spent my spare time away from my computer working with my hands on real things (made some more chainmail stuff and a bit of leather work for my medieval costume).

But now, inspired by Doc Charly's fantastic interiour work, I decided to revisit the Hammond in the living room.
As some of you suggested I threw out some plants and especially the ugly Xfrog flower pots. I changed the lighting a bit to get some nice rays and added some new stuff. All the additional models are from Archive3D. Great source!
Btw the toy car is gone. I felt that it didn't really fit.
Hope you like it and sorry for this long break. I guess it will last a little longer, but I'll frequently visit this site to catch up

Dune

Good to see you back, Hannes. I (for one) missed you. I like this update. Is the fire an image map? I have one issue about the dog; I think it's specularity is playing up a bit due to the displacement: tiny light dots.

DocCharly65

Nice to "see" you again  :)

Unbelievable fantastic!
I feel like being drawn into the room.
My "TG level" is not as high these days to try a lit cigarette and that slight cigarette smoke in the room.

But anyway I'm happy to hear, I could inspire you. :)

Hannes

Thanks guys!
@ Ulco: yes, the fire is an image map, using your water shader-method.
I agree about the dog. I'm not entirely happy with it. It's a great model, and I like him sitting in front of the camera, looking at something else, but I'll have to improve that simulated fur.

@ DocCharly65: the cigarette smoke is also nothing but a billboard with an image map for the opacity using the above mentioned Ulco-method described here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15757.msg154133.html#msg154133

Btw, here is my own crit: after I had submitted the new image, I compared the two versions and found, that I like the lighting of the first image better. So I am testing the new version with the sun settings of the old version. I'll show you the results once they are finished.

bobbystahr

Wow and welcome back...I know well the malaise you suffer, have a touch of that in my songwriting...blocked....
Really like all the updates and suspect it's the bump/displacement in the fur myself; take that down and the specularity Ulco sees would disappear I think. Absolutely effective cigarette smoke, Bravo on that....Hang in there and keep on teweaking...anything...I find that will overcome a creativity block. You are always 'better' at what you do that you were when you did that, heh heh heh, so bash on mate.
I'm currently reviewing fragments that stopped half way to a song.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Bobby. That's encouraging!

Hannes

Here is a dog test. I think you were both right, Ulco and Bobby. What do you say?

j meyer

:) Hey...Hannes!
As for the dog's fur I'd say that's the right direction.
Agree with you about the lighting,was my first thought seeing this new version.
Working on that chainmail and doing leather stuff is creative,too,isn't it?
Sometimes one's mind needs a little break to recharge the creative batteries.
Creative breaks are necessary,think of music,for example.
It'll be back.

mhaze

bobbystahr

Nailed it Hannes...lookin away from the camera is so prima donna dog like....I had a really cute mutt once who always gave us "her good side"
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Wow, that is most impressive! If the fire is an image map how did you get to illuminate the inside of the fireplace?

I completely understand when people disappear for extended periods. Too much computer time kills the spirit. These days all I do with TG is read the forum...

Hannes

So am I, Otakar. Thank you!!
I illuminated the inside of the fireplace by using an orange light source. The image plane's "cast shadows"-checkbox is unchecked of course!

yossam

Good to see you again, kinda going thru the block thing myself. Not easy to please yourself sometimes. Agree about the lighting, miss the car.............IMO it added a touch of "home" to the scene.  ;D

Dune

Yes, greatly improved dog! These furry creatures are still difficult in TG, or you'd have to use the multipoly stuff like 'look at my hair' from Alessandro. The next version feature 'displace per object' will help, but still, you need to have very fine detail displaced. I am encountering this in my Stone Age people, they should wear rugged clothing, but that's really hard.

DocCharly65

The dog looks really nice!

Watching both versions I recognized that our housekeepers were shoping in the same mall... nice Farn, JD and Banana  ;D

At second glance I think you're right Hannes, light of the first version seems warmer to me.