CPU L3 cache help pls

Started by archonforest, January 30, 2015, 02:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Hey,
I got the task to get 15 computers in the office and cannot decide on the CPU.
1st CPU is a 6 core Xeon with 12Mb L3 cache
2nd CPU is a 4 core Xeon with 12Mb L3 cache.

So if I get the 6 core one I will have 2Mb L3 per core. If I get the 4 core one I will have 3Mb L3 cache per core. PC will run PS, Indd, Illustrator, font manager media player :D for music in the same time. Ps files often several 100Mb. Now I have the data that more cache can help multitasking alot. Now here I have the same amount but per core not.

Any advice  pls?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

L3 cache makes a very minimal difference these days in most real-world applications, generally speaking. Having 2 extra cores will make a much bigger difference. The best way to see, though, is go look at general benchmarks comparing your two CPU options. There are lots of places doing multithreaded benchmarking, in fact one even uses TG3 as part of their testing. :D
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/09/03/intel-core-i7-5930k-and-core-i7-5820k-revie/6
Note however that I believe they may still be using the *old* Terragen 2 benchmark that was not very friendly to multithreading. But their other multithreading tests (and those that other sites use) are certainly good indicators.

- Oshyan

archonforest

L3 cache must help in multitasking no? Like data can be stored there for quick access therefore switching between apps...etc must be smoother and overall operation also no?

Oshyan

In theory yes, in practice the actual impact is minimal in *most* situations. Like I said, check the real-world benchmarks. There are some very specific situations where a larger (but still not huge) difference can be seen, in fact years ago in previous versions of Terragen (Classic, I think), before multithreading, we saw some performance differences that seemed attributable to cache sizes. But these days additional cores are almost always going to give you better performance (unless they're at a much lower clock speed than the lower-core-count CPU).

- Oshyan

archonforest

Okay thx for your input. ;) I will test both config with real  tests. Like set them up how it will be and get them to work to see what they can pump out... :D