3D printed chainmail

Started by Hannes, January 21, 2015, 05:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I was always curious how the results of these services are, when there are interlocking elements. So I decided to create a small piece of chainmail with closed rings in 3ds Max and I finally got the result. Of course the material doesn't look real, but I knew that before, and I didn't have the right scale, which was my fault. Made me think of creating a complete chainmail hauberk in 3ds Max...
But as this little piece cost me about €30,- it would be probably too expensive.
Btw, I used http://i.materialise.com/ . Shapeways is also a well known 3D printing service, and both accept OBJ files.

archonforest

:o :o :o :o :o
How the hell u can print chained rings....?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

I don't exactly know, how they do this, but they seem to have some sort of material for the mould that can be blown or molten away.

Dune

Awesome, next we'll be printing our own clothing  :o

Kadri

Nice. The ring parts don't intersect and touch each other i in the 3D model suppose?

TheBadger

Very interesting! I guess the printer moves the head into the area of the last ring and starts printing again. I think this was not made on one of the cheaper units then. It must have more moving parts (arms or something) than the $1000 printers for example.

lol, when I saw the thumbnail, I thought oh man, now Hannes is making his 3D REAL!
It has been eaten.

Lady of the Lake

j meyer

Cool,interesting test. 8)
If you look at the first image in this thread you can see the model.The rings
are not touching each other (unless my eyes fooled me) and since these
printers add supports usually it's no problem at all.It would be a huge problem,
though,using traditional techniques.But 3D printing doesn't use moulds and
therefore it can do things like that easily.

Hannes

Yes, indeed, the 3ds Max model's rings don't touch each other. Before I sent them my order, I read that 3D printing interlocking models is possible. However, I wasn't sure, if I would really receive a "working" model, and not just a clump of plastic.