Iceland first snow

Started by kalwalt, January 23, 2015, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I agree with Oshyan about the moss. It would be very good for some specks of younger moss shoots. Most of it it should much less saturated and darker.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

I'd forget about the iceberg. To get a bit more light on the fall, playa little with the hardness of the cloud (in the main cloud tab), or the fractal (buoyancy from variation). Changing those values (buoyancy from 0.5 to 0.4, e.g.) may just make the difference. Or add a transform shader between cloud fractal and cloud node and move the cloud 10m.
I would also break up the strata in the distance by a ridged power fractal (larger number, say 50/400/10, and maybe stretched vertically).
Agree about darkening the moss.

kalwalt

Quote from: Henry Blewer on January 31, 2015, 09:17:32 PM
I agree with Oshyan about the moss. It would be very good for some specks of younger moss shoots. Most of it it should much less saturated and darker.
Thank you Henry! In theory i plugged into the surface layer a power fractal for the colour, but i think i have still to tweak the values...

Quote from: Dune on February 01, 2015, 03:30:14 AM
I'd forget about the iceberg. To get a bit more light on the fall, playa little with the hardness of the cloud (in the main cloud tab), or the fractal (buoyancy from variation). Changing those values (buoyancy from 0.5 to 0.4, e.g.) may just make the difference. Or add a transform shader between cloud fractal and cloud node and move the cloud 10m.
I would also break up the strata in the distance by a ridged power fractal (larger number, say 50/400/10, and maybe stretched vertically).
Agree about darkening the moss.
For the clouds i used the Clouds_black_Moodflow.tgc from here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3691.msg38157.html#msg38157 the nodes required a .tif image (not provided), i did one with gimp, but maybe i can simply plug a power fractal shader instead that image map shader. I can try first as you suggested and then try another option.
For the moss: i darkened the colour but it's much difficult to me to desaturate it. and also still need a bit of work on the displacement. see the part. picture (rendered at higher res and higher AA)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Henry Blewer

The moss looks better. I like it more now.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Indeed, moss looks better. Desaturating should be easy. Go to the color picker and on the first tab (button with 3 colored bars at top), then on the dropdown that may say "RGB sliders", select "HSB sliders". That's Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. Now just reduce Saturation.

- Oshyan

kalwalt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 01, 2015, 02:53:53 PM
Indeed, moss looks better. Desaturating should be easy. Go to the color picker and on the first tab (button with 3 colored bars at top), then on the dropdown that may say "RGB sliders", select "HSB sliders". That's Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. Now just reduce Saturation.

- Oshyan

I've never seen the HSB button! we never finish to learn... thank's a lot for the tips! :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Oshyan

You're welcome. The color picker has a lot of nice options in it. :)

- Oshyan

kalwalt

Now it looks better! The moss is better, the fall has a bit more light, tried to modify the mount wall in the background but not much changed. Another step to the end... :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

Some improvements on the waterfall,   boulders, textures, light.... in the next days i will try a partial higher rendering.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Oshyan

Ah yes, now you've got the light right! Snow texture still seems quite noisy or "chunky", but otherwise this is looking pretty nice.

- Oshyan

kalwalt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 03, 2015, 05:53:15 PM
Ah yes, now you've got the light right! Snow texture still seems quite noisy or "chunky", but otherwise this is looking pretty nice.

- Oshyan
Yeah, something magic happened!  :D ;) For the snow i will try with the clip from @Tangled Universe that i bought from NWDA... will see tomorrow.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Oshyan

Sounds good. My one recommendation: Save a *copy* of the TGD you have now, with the lighting you like, with a new name and in a separate place. Other changes you make later may affect the lighting, you may "lose" it somehow. But it should be fairly easy to copy it back in if you have a backup (depending on what change messes it up). So that's my little tip.

- Oshyan

kalwalt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 03, 2015, 06:02:01 PM
Sounds good. My one recommendation: Save a *copy* of the TGD you have now, with the lighting you like, with a new name and in a separate place. Other changes you make later may affect the lighting, you may "lose" it somehow. But it should be fairly easy to copy it back in if you have a backup (depending on what change messes it up). So that's my little tip.

- Oshyan
Thank's for the tip. Generally i save my works regulary with the increment option, plus when i did some critical changes i rename it (  adding some info), and always i save on an external HDD. And if it is very important i do a double copy on my dropobx account.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Oshyan

Sounds like you have a good system then, glad to hear it. :)

- Oshyan

kalwalt

What about this "new" snow?
WorldMachine
3Dcoat