Iceland first snow

Started by kalwalt, January 23, 2015, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalwalt

Quote from: Dune on February 07, 2015, 03:01:23 AM
The clouds are a good addition. I wouldn't lighten the grass to much, I like it like this. Did you test parts in high resolution already?
I like the clouds too. i hadn't time to test in h-res. The clouds took me enough time to make some test  :( ???, i will do today (I hope).
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

Here some cropped renders at higher res (1900x905, detail 0.8, AA 10).
This related to the clouds (Quality setting 0.912493)
[attach=1]
This related to part of the wall with the snow and the cloud-fog (Quality setting 1.05015)
[attach=2]
This related to the veg and rocks in the foreground, here cloud quality is set to 0.423324. it seems veg are not properly attached to the ground?
[attach=3]
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

If you suspect they're floating, detach the line coming from the compute terrain to the population, and have it go from the last node before it goes into planet to the population. That way it picks up all final displacements (with the danger they also sit on fake stones, so if you have fake stones in the last node, take the one before that to have the pops sit upon).
Details look ok, a bit grainy clouds maybe, and maybe due to the atmosphere quality, you might need to increase that from 16 to 24 or so.
And do you have a slope restriction on the snow? It kind of clings to very vertical areas, so you might want to refine that...

kalwalt

Quote from: Dune on February 08, 2015, 03:40:47 AM
If you suspect they're floating, detach the line coming from the compute terrain to the population, and have it go from the last node before it goes into planet to the population. That way it picks up all final displacements (with the danger they also sit on fake stones, so if you have fake stones in the last node, take the one before that to have the pops sit upon).
Details look ok, a bit grainy clouds maybe, and maybe due to the atmosphere quality, you might need to increase that from 16 to 24 or so.
And do you have a slope restriction on the snow? It kind of clings to very vertical areas, so you might want to refine that...
Thank's Ulco for the suggestions, i'm working on it as soon as i have some picture in hand i will post them. Also i will use different settings for the final renderings, it takes too much to render these little portions: i'll have to decrease the detail and AA settings and probably the width and height pixels...
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

Another test before final render: part. of the clouds with detail settings = 0.744, AA = 8, athmosphere number of samples = 32. It seesm better than before. Only the render time is long = 2 h 3 minutes... May i decrease detail settings  and still have the same quality?
Walter
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

inkydigit

These last clouds look great, worth the render time, for sure... Not sure reducing detail will result in equal quality though?....
Cheers
Jason
:)

kalwalt

Quote from: inkydigit on February 08, 2015, 04:53:20 PM
These last clouds look great, worth the render time, for sure... Not sure reducing detail will result in equal quality though?....
Cheers
Jason
:)

Thank you Jason, then i hope that my pc will be able to render before the deadline!! lol ;D ??? ::)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

Great, that seemed to get the grain out. You cluld try slightly reducing quality again in both atmo and clouds and see when grain comes back and how much time that saves.
What kind of machine do you have? Maybe you could send it off to someone with a really fast machine for the final render, or use a render farm. I guess on an i7 it would take an few hours max.

kalwalt

Quote from: Dune on February 09, 2015, 02:12:09 AM
Great, that seemed to get the grain out. You cluld try slightly reducing quality again in both atmo and clouds and see when grain comes back and how much time that saves.
What kind of machine do you have? Maybe you could send it off to someone with a really fast machine for the final render, or use a render farm. I guess on an i7 it would take an few hours max.
i did a little test reducing settings, the grainy not appear. Now i'm trying a  1900x905 render, will see when it ends. I have an i5 2450M 2.50 Ghz with 6GB Ram. If this render fails i will try the render farm option (maybe pixel plow?) if it's not so expensive. :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

kalwalt

I'm doing a "high"  rendering, at the moment after 40 hours :o :P it's not yet finished, but 97% done hope it will be fine, but i need to investigate what's the cause of this long time rendering. ??? 
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

I discovered that soft shadows are enabled in the sunlight that i used, i've red in the wiki that this may increase the render time. Do you think that soft shadows are necessary in this type of scene?
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

Not really, I think, but you're underway now anyway.

kalwalt

Quote from: Dune on February 11, 2015, 07:21:56 AM
Not really, I think, but you're underway now anyway.
Yes of course, i will post the render when it is ready. i've also deferrred atmo cloud enabled. Will see if can make some little improvements until the deadline.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat