Artby - Final

Started by Artby, January 27, 2015, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artby

The DOF is made in post using Zdepth, and I agree it is too blury. It is a 35mm lens, it could be that blurry in theory for the fore-foreground, but I think it should decrease quickly. Anyway, this will be final adjustements in Nuke, I still need to work in terragen.
Thank you for the fractal warp tip, I will try that!

DannyG

Quote from: Artby on February 02, 2015, 06:58:29 AM
The DOF is made in post using Zdepth, and I agree it is too blury. It is a 35mm lens, it could be that blurry in theory for the fore-foreground, but I think it should decrease quickly. Anyway, this will be final adjustements in Nuke, I still need to work in terragen.
Thank you for the fractal warp tip, I will try that!

The use of DOF should be done within Terragen for this contest. Please reference contest rules on postwork http://www.nwdastore.com/theme-challenge/ Any questions ask away. Image is looking real good. Best of Luck to you
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

gregtee

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but DOF seems to be an approved post effect.

"Approved Post work – Sharpening, color/level adjustments, resizing and another subtle techniques that simulate typical lens effects. NWDA will reject any image that is deemed overly 'enhanced' by Photoshop or other image editors."

Since DOF is a lens effect, it seems that one can either render it in camera or do it as a post process. 
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

DannyG

Quote from: gregtee on February 03, 2015, 03:41:10 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but DOF seems to be an approved post effect.

"Approved Post work – Sharpening, color/level adjustments, resizing and another subtle techniques that simulate typical lens effects. NWDA will reject any image that is deemed overly 'enhanced' by Photoshop or other image editors

Since DOF is a lens effect, it seems that one can either render it in camera or do it as a post process.

Hey Gregg,
  Since this is a Terragen challenge and DOF is available within Terragen contestants should use the tools available. As stated in the contest rules. "Terragen DOF is permittted" So no postwork DOF
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

Interesting. I had also assumed DoF post work was allowed. Mainly because it *is* achievable in TG, but undeniably TG is not always the best for doing DoF. For example if you need to animate your DoF, or you're not sure where you want your DoF point. If you have access to a version that exports depth maps, then it may make sense to do it in post. I don't see this as being out of the spirit of the rules (as I interpret them) because, as you say, TG *can* do it. It's not like rendering a fluid sim waterfall in another app and then compositing that in your image as a major part of your entry, which would really be too much post work. With DoF it's more just a convenience; any entry with DoF *could* be achieved in TG. Which is really not much different from e.g. contrast adjustments, which theoretically *also* could be done in TG, but it's far more convenient and you get more control in an image editor.

But that's just my opinion, and of course Danny has the last word. :)

- Oshyan

Artby

For me the best addition in Terragen 3 is by far the ability to render aov. This make the software usable in a production workflow. For example, by using utility passes in Nuke we can really push the power of Terragen forward. We can also decrease render times by denoising clouds and atmo passes. Trying to get the perfect final image just outside any CG package for me is senseless.

Having said, I am very conscious to be part of a contest with rules, and I am not here to review them. Of course this is a Terragen contest, and I am focusing on the terragen work. Making the church in Maya took me less than an hour and I will not do some heavy comp in Nuke, just tweaking and adjust things already done. Anyway, we also have to deliver the raw image from terragen so...

DannyG

I certainly do not want to hinder anyone's creativity but this is something that was thought of from the beginning, DOF is a new feature in TG3, it's a TG challenge therefore DOF should be rendered in TG. I look forward to your entry Artby and good luck !!
Danny 
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

TheBadger

I did not understand it this way from the rules I read either.
*edit
Ahh, I reread the rules and all elements must be rendered in TG. I see. tricky. I did not think of this kind of thing as an element.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I suppose it more fair towards less professionally working users, having other software at hand to comp things.

ADE

wow, great stuff on the introductory renders........

Artby

New iteration, I have removed the vegetation to concentrate on the lighting and shading. The foreground rock need some work.
Thank you Dune for the fractal warp tip !
(This is a raw terragen image)

kalwalt

Amazing! i would be really there! :D
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

otakar

Very nice. Church definitely adds to the atmosphere here I'd say.

choronr

This certainly is turning out very nice.