Having a micro export problem

Started by TheBadger, January 28, 2015, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It works for me under the parameters Ashley posted.

Only thing to understand now is why the difference between Kadri and Ashley, and why the Vheight and Y don't jive. Also a little strange to me that I on OSX have the same problem as someone on a PC, but another PC user has no issue at all.

actually, I don't care at all. Im just glad it works.  :P
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Good that you got it to work Michael

From past experience i am not surprised to see different values regarding an objects place in space because how Terragen works on a planet kind of object.
Matt or Oshyan might say something about this.

But i would like to try your setups if possible guys. Just curious.
If possible, strip out all your delicious data and post a file with the problematic setup here please :)
But probably it is related to those values of the camera and you are farther away from the one that counts.

Kadri

I don't know how your scene is setup and if it is the same problem (Vheight?) but this is what Matt said in a post for example:

"Don't trust the Y coordinate readout in the preview when you are dealing with large areas on a curved planet.
That simply reports the Y coordinate, which is not the same as altitude.
For any altitude you choose, the Y value will change as you move away from the origin because of the planet's curvature.
At the origin, Y = altitude, but away from the origin Y will be less than the altitude."

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,5686.msg59609.html#msg59609

Ashley

Hi Kadri,

I tested again with the default terrain at the origin. Setting the Farthest distance works fine, as you reported.
The scene I used before was a DEM terrain, I had forgotten at the time, the lat long at apex of the planet was using the lat long of the DEM.

So this means the camera was on the other side of the planet at a negative Y co-ord. When I tried to use any value other than 1e+006 it wasn't able to produce any geo.
I tried setting a value in the negative (sounds daft) and that didn't work either but thought at least I can rule it out.

This is an interesting issue, but easily sorted by using the default value.

Kadri

Have you tried  any different (negative for example) numbers for the "Nearest distance" option too ?

Oshyan

This is almost certainly *not* a platform issue, the differences are likely down to specific setups since none of you are working from the same scene files. If you want a proper test to suss out and possibly issues between people's different machines/OSs, whatever, then there's no way to do that other than using the exact same TGD with the exact same settings.

That being said, I think most of this has been explained through the thread by now. Y and vHeight differences have been explained before, and Matt's quote is a good summation. Whether negative values should work to restrict export on the other side of the planet, I'm not sure, the same idea occurred to me. But I'd really just ask why you even need to restrict distances if you're doing a top-down export.

Only other thing I want to say is that yes you *can* export imported geometry using the micro exporter *if raytrace objects is disabled*. But keep in mind it will just be part of one big geometry export, so your trees or whatever will be part of the same geometry dump as your terrain, and it will be hard to separate them. This is *not* a good way to get a stand-alone object into a different format or anything, but it can occasionally be useful, for example using a population object export for shadow casting or "hold out" or something in another app.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on January 29, 2015, 10:46:04 PM
Only other thing I want to say is that yes you *can* export imported geometry using the micro exporter *if raytrace objects is disabled*...

Nice. Still good to have that option.