Software dead end. (fixed)

Started by TheBadger, February 07, 2015, 05:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Im probably just dumb. :-[ I can live with it.
Anyway, it was empty.
The good news is that I can easily get the size I want, and all the detail (with TG PW texture) from the micro and turn that into a map in Maya in no time.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Well I'm (for one) curious to see what the heck you're doing with all this...could we have an image or 2 of the results you're getting please and thank you....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Oh, I am supposed to finish something then  :o Well thats asking a lot on top of figuring out how  ;)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on February 13, 2015, 06:51:12 PM
Oh, I am supposed to finish something then  :o Well thats asking a lot on top of figuring out how  ;)

hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

All I'm going to say is that it seems TG *does* do what you want. It's just not working for you for some reason, or you *think* it's not working. My guess is that due to the high dynamic range, and some relatively low height values, the EXR appeared black/dark. What did you open it with? If Photoshop, try adjusting Exposure. There are probably values in there. BUT, if you're not even seeing the Heightfield Generate bounding box (are you sure you don't have it turned off?), then maybe you're not even able to generate a heightfield from the right spot... In any case, the functionality is definitely there.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Anyway, saving out the OBJ is MUCH better. There are no limitations (details, size, res), and the way forward is clear. The micro exporter is superior.
As fas as the map part, thats just a fancy ramp... Maya can save exr too by the way, no issues like you proposed.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Of course there are limitations - OBJ is going to take up much more memory for equivalent detail vs. a heightfield. The only reason the micro exporter and OBJ might be better is if you need to preserve non-planar details (e.g. overhangs).

Not sure what issues you're referring to with EXR...

- Oshyan