Mountain scene..

Started by Valentina, February 09, 2015, 01:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentina

Hi, I ask sorry in advance cause is not easy to explain this issue in English for me.. I'm trying to work on a classic mountain scene very near to the top of the mountain, as if I were on a plane. My problem is (remember I'm very new to this software) that all is so blue.. I gave an almost black as base color to my mountain, but it's all in shades of blue. I guess it probably is a problem of density.. Before just "play" with some parameters I would like to have some advice from you. Hope something was clear..
Thank you..
Valentina

kalwalt

Hi, Valentina. Maybe should be better if you post some images of the rendering. The bluish colour could be caused by camera too high from the ground or some colur not enabled in a surface layer or power fractal node after the compute terrain node. Look onto this two things and tell us if this helped you. :)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Valentina

First of all, thank you for your reply :). Colors are enabled it seems to me; and no problem with power fractal if you mean the terrain one (not shaders, remember who are you "speaking" with :P ). Yes surely the camera is high but that was because i liked that point of view but I chose it very empirically, so maybe, it is too high. you know, like this kind of image (just for dream, never be able to achieve this results!)
http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/458849357-swiss-alps-snow-covered-summit-mountain-high-mountain-regions

hope links for reference are allowed... for the render, can I post an image here?
Valentina

kalwalt

Yes, post an image please, without something to see it's difficult to help :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Valentina

ok, so..  this is a render without almost nothing on it, just a base color, but it should give an idea..
thanks
Valentina

[attachimg=1]

Oshyan

It looks to me like this is just regular atmospheric scattering that happens at long distances with haze. I would guess that you are probably using really large scales here (the units in Terragen are meters most of the time), so these mountains might be huge and you have put your camera very far away from them to get the right look, which results in a lot of haze between the camera and the mountains. Since you already have the scene presumably the way you want it, you can just reduce Haze and Bluesky Density in the Atmosphere node, but in general I'd suggest trying to build your scenes at real world scales to have an easier time getting a realistic result.

- Oshyan

Valentina

I can easily find some other Pov, tomorrow I'll post some setting, surely it's a problem of scale: I've used a set for the terrain that I found in a tutorial but maybe something went wrong. Thank you
Valentina

Valentina

Ok, so.. here I am.. That's what I've done in this project.

In a tutorial I found that I could create two different power fractals in the terrain node, one fore the largest details (as the mountain distributions) and one for the smallest details. The setting for the first one (large features) are: features scale 50 000 and lead in scale 250 00. Moreover, speaking about the small details terrain, the guy of the tutorial says that has sense to give to the displecement amplitude and the features scale the same values. Maybe my mistake has been doing this thing also in the large features terrain, because now I have a displacement amplitude of 50 000  :o which is rather high.

What do you think? I'll try now with a default displacement amplitude.. waiting for your answer/s

Dune

Displacement of 50 kilometers isn't even found on earth, so I guess you'd better use lower values. Mountain ranges from the default start scene are quite appropriate to start with (I believe 5000/25000 with displacement of 2km).

Oshyan

50km mountains, no wonder! Everest is just under 9000 meters btw. ;)

- Oshyan

Valentina

Definitely a mistake! that's what happens when you do things whitout thinking about... :-\

thank to you all

kalwalt

Quote from: Valentina on February 11, 2015, 07:00:23 AM
Definitely a mistake! that's what happens when you do things whitout thinking about... :-\

thank to you all
No problem, Valentina! I want to see the development of your mountains! :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd