Fumarole

Started by Dune, February 15, 2015, 03:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

As soon as I rotate more than -60 the SSS disapears!

mhaze

Cloud and SSS have to be at 0!!! before rotation.  Got the basics now - just need to fiddle to get it right.

mhaze

Cheers Dune for the tip!  Only one issue left - moving it to anywhere other than 0,0,0!

ADE

is this what u guys are trying to achieve?

mhaze

Dune

You can add another transform shader after you've done your thing (warping and such) and move the whole shebang there.

mhaze

That distorts the shape...

Dune

Well, I don't know actually. I haven't got that far yet, no time.

j meyer

To illustrate my point I wasted some more time and paid a bit more attention.
Remembered that I had the necessary setup in an old file and tried it with that.
I was the one suggesting it a few times over the years after all.(3 axes projection)
First the original:
[attachimg=1]
It works obviously.
Now with clouds:
[attachimg=2]
Doesn't work correct.
No matter what.Tried it again and again with every setting the merge shader
provides and with functions.
Noticed some strange behaviour of the clouds earlier - playing with the rookpluim -
but didn't care too much at that point.Was and still am busy with other non TG stuff.
So either I made a really dumb mistake or my version of TG is broken or Ulco is
doing it with the alpha version or I don't know.

Dune

This is really funny. And no, it's not a new alpha with secret new shaders  ;) Just a triangular simple shape, 2 transform shaders (one to sit the triangle upright, and one to rotate this 90ยบ to avoid a long stretch of triangle, a merge shader to *  both and some cloud (I use the final density to test). By the way, another transform shader before warping for location does work.

j meyer

And that's exactly what I did for the example from yesterday.(page2)

oysteroid

j meyer,

I think I can offer a solution to your 3-axis projection problem:

[attachimg=1]

I also attached the TGD and images used for the camera projection.

And actually, you might also want to put in a 'clamp 0 1 scalar' in there after the last 'subtract scalar'. It might prevent unwanted behavior for certain things.

But really, you can control the density of your clouds in a much better way using blue nodes and some high-school level analytic geometry along with 'smooth step scalar' nodes and whatnot. You can use formulas for cones, circles, spheres, parabolas, or whatever.

I am getting ready to share how I did my waterfall and I will make a couple of screen recording videos along with voice to explain some of the ideas. Some of that might be helpful for this fumarole kind of thing as well. You can shape the density of or mask your clouds in all sorts of interesting ways if you get into the blue nodes.

j meyer

I'll give it a try,thanks.

QuoteBut really, you can control the density of your clouds in a much better way using blue nodes and some high-school level analytic geometry along with 'smooth step scalar' nodes and whatnot. You can use formulas for cones, circles, spheres, parabolas, or whatever.

Maybe you can,I can only use the files Mr.Lamppost provided or Matt and I did that
every once in a while.Matt's softcone for example two days ago. ;)

bla bla 2

With the reflective shader ?

j meyer

Bastien - ???

oysteroid - Had a look at your file in the meantime and that's not my problem.
                I know the basic technique.
                But thanks for being concerned.