Cracked Fake Stones

Started by Tangled-Universe, August 03, 2007, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Some of you may already have seen this one on renderosity today.
This image was a study to obtain realistic cracks on rocks/fake stones and was also an exercise for micro-displacement on the soil.
There are a few grey "patches" on the soil which are actually fake stones which are displaced downwards. Finding the right displacement value for all fake stones is very hard.
I've also used a combination of GI and fill lights with a customised 9 sunlight-array to create softer shadows.

Rendered with the unregistered version, can't remember rendertime anymore, about 2,5h I guess.
Rendersettings:

Detail: 0.85
AA: 3
GI: 3/3
Gamma: 1.5
Contrast: 0.325
Raytracing on (unnecessary, forgot to switch off)

As some of you already may have read here on the forums there's a thread going on about how to create these cracks on rock/fake stones.
You can find it here:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1939.msg19180#msg19180

Postwork (crappy DOF) in Photoshop CS2.
(don't know if you read this Ben, but I've been trying to use your depth-map technique and had some troubles creating the mask due to the fake stones (I think)).

Greetings,

Martin

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sflynn

If there was such a thing as petrified dinosaur droppings this would be it! ;D

Really, very nice. I love the detail.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sflynn on August 03, 2007, 02:18:19 PM

*lol* honestly the same kind of joke already came up in my mind as well  ;D Thanks anyway!

Buzzzzz

Hi Martin! These would work great along a shoreline in a scene. Sweet! :)

rcallicotte

Very good. <salivating>   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

I'm reading ;)

I haven't tried it with fakes stones or objects, but in both cases you may also need to plug the distance masks into the shaders of the fake stones/ object surfaces.  Won't know how well it works until I try it.

cyphyr

Quote from: sflynn on August 03, 2007, 02:18:19 PM

Copralite is the word your looking for :)

Beautiful detailing by the way

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Volker Harun

Very good work. The choice of colours and lighting are realistic.

Marcos Silveira

Hey Tangled!!
I used your  "craked fake stones" clipfile but I couldn't follow You!!!
Could'nt get the links!!!

[attachimg=#]

These are my connections

[attachthumb=#]

Tangled-Universe

Nice colours ;) what's the camera height? It should be a couple of meters. In combination with very small scale displacements the colours can freak out sometimes.
Well here's an overview of the nodes. As you can see you'll have to connect the displacement output to the input of the default shader (big stones shader).
As you can see there are 2 powerfractals mixed and fed into the displacement port of the default shader. As they already mention they give the rocks form and detail.
Hope this will help, if not, feel free to ask...

Martin

chaps

I thought you were using fake stone shader.

Your post show me that ther are still many "devices" to explore. What is the one you are using for "general form"

I have got the same probleme with very weird colors. I was unable to understand why it modify the collors in the whole scene when it was connected to a layer which is very limited by altitude and slope constraints.

Chaps

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: chaps on August 09, 2007, 09:28:47 AM
I thought you were using fake stone shader.

Your post show me that ther are still many "devices" to explore. What is the one you are using for "general form"

No I didn't use the stone shader directly. There where more people asking me this, so I think my explanation wasn't clear enough. I'm sorry.
The "general form" node is a powerfractal which displaces the fake stone so to get rid of it's cubic appearance.
In relation to "micro detail" it's a larger scale displacement. "Micro detail" is a very low scale displacement to give the fake stones extra bumpiness.

Quote from: chaps on August 09, 2007, 09:28:47 AM
I have got the same probleme with very weird colors. I was unable to understand why it modify the collors in the whole scene when it was connected to a layer which is very limited by altitude and slope constraints.

Chaps

Honestly I don't know why that is especially when working with strict restrictions. Only thing I do know is that in general displacements <0.005 tend to give GI problems.
Adjusting displacement values may solve this problem, but sometimes moving the camera a little higher also worked out fine. But as I said, don't know why for sure.

Martin

edit: and oh yes, I forgot to mention that the techniques "general form" and "micro detail" aren't mine, but these were created by someone else here on the forum. Can't remember who, I'm sorry, had a few beers after soccer training  ;D However, kudos/credits to him!