Started by Dune, March 02, 2015, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Last before final image for the book that I will share with you guys. Late medieval times, same area, different POV. First WIP for layout. LOTS of work still!

archonforest

Hey Dune isn't this very orderly agricultural scene looks odd for medieval times?
Just a question though...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

zaxxon

Yeah, the fields do look a little 'modern', but since Dune is illustrating this for Archaeologists and Historians his 'facts' are probably very accurate (not to speak for him of course). The history of agriculture in Europe is an interesting study in climate change and the evolution of the local societies use of 'labor'. Here's a link to a short overview of what was occurring:

http://facstaff.bloomu.edu/hickey/to%201650%20lecture%209.htm

Interesting to note that the year 1650 was the approximate beginning of a 'mini' ice age in Europe which further impacted the burgeoning agricultural technologies. Sorry to ramble on. As always Dune's forays into historical illustration are incredibly fascinating.

choronr

It's not at all surprising to see the work of ancient native American farmers and their accurate attention to detail while cultivating their farm lands during the period of about 600 through 1,400 AD. This type of common-sense intelligence prevails throughout the world as a survival mechanism.

Their work developed more than 2,000 miles of irrigation ditches around and through the Phoenix, Arizona area all the way to the Colorado River. Today, modern man has built many concrete canals over those ancient ditches providing fresh potable drinking water, and water for crop irrigation.

Re: https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+irrigation+ditches+in+Arizona&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Dune

Interesting link, Doug. Thanks. Indeed, agriculture was well organized in that period, that's what the archaeaologists are trying to illustrate in this series. Same area as the snowy 800 scene, but with the camera on the opposite eastside looking west. Small village moved north 300m, and the whole 'high' (very relative in Holland) area taking into production. Mainly rye (summer and winter), so the fields will be quite monotonous, I'm afraid (easy though). Some flax on certain fields.
More people, and more sheep, so the sandy heathland on the right is overgrazed and due to open up. Deep tracks made by carts going north (Groningen). The open sand eventually would endanger villages centuries later, and therefore, at the beginning of the 1900's State Forestry plants enormous amounts of trees, which are also welcomed as poles to keep coal mining tunnels in the south of Holland from collapsing. So, there's a little history  ;)

archonforest

Dune

Update. Still needs color changes, buildings, people, carts, cattle, and far (fake) trees.

archonforest

Good God those changes are really nice!

choronr

This is planned out well; and, so interesting to see it evolve.

Jo Kariboo

I'm still impressed once again with the area and the worries of detail in your images !

otakar

Yeah, I know what to expect from Ulco these days. Still every time I see something like the latest render I am awestruck. The only thing to consider would be maybe some imperfections in those geometric shapes to break things up a bit and make them appear more natural.

Dune

As it happened, I just added a fractal warp to break the edges of the fields  ;) Which I also gave a more mature rye color. Building medieval sheds now.

archonforest

Looks fantastic!

choronr

It takes awhile to view your compositions with all the details to see; and, the variation of vegetation and structures. At some point in time, you need to write a book about your projects; how you do them; and, some stories as to how they unfolded.

archonforest

Quote from: choronr on March 04, 2015, 09:55:52 AM
It takes awhile to view your compositions with all the details to see; and, the variation of vegetation and structures. At some point in time, you need to write a book about your projects; how you do them; and, some stories as to how they unfolded.
Now that is a great idea!! I'll buy it for sure :D :D