Atlantic Primeval Forest

Started by Dune, November 25, 2014, 01:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Amazing, Ulco! Is the grass procedural?

Dune

It's the internal grass again, changed a bit, and colored from the underground colors. They're supposed to be sedges, so it's not to bad. Will be smaller in print anyway.

Lady of the Lake

Would like to ask a question (definitely not a crit).  Why are the dead trees so much larger than the others?  I am sure there is a very good reason for I  and I am curious to know the reason.   :)

Dune

Well, it's good that you metion it. I actually didn't really think about it. They might be even older forest giants, having starved in this later era, but I could also make them smaller. I'm awaiting the scientists to approve (or dissapprove) of this concept, so who knows what needs changing. The first comment I got was that it was so dark, but I actually like that brooding Rembrandt mood.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 26, 2014, 11:42:54 AM
Well, it's good that you metion it. I actually didn't really think about it. They might be even older forest giants, having starved in this later era, but I could also make them smaller. I'm awaiting the scientists to approve (or dissapprove) of this concept, so who knows what needs changing. The first comment I got was that it was so dark, but I actually like that brooding Rembrandt mood.

To me, the dark brooding look is perfect as well but who really knows what a client will want till the say aye or nae....great work up, can't wait to see the finished inspiration.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Those last renders are inspiring, especially the lighting.

Dune

They don't want the light, so it's gonna be different lighting. Here's a small detail update.

choronr

What a nice picture. The way the moose stands out against the water's reflection of the sky is great. Contrasts here are beautiful with the lower light.

Oshyan

Agree with Bob, the lighting here is fantastic, great contrasts, and that moose silhouette, mmm. Love it.

Aaand *this* is where the advantages of digital environments really shine. With a traditional painting, relighting would be difficult or impossible if I'm not mistaken. Here you can - at least in theory - just shift the sun angle and re-render. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Yes, that's why I 'insist' on making my illustrations in 3D instead of traditional painting. Shadows, e.g. are a pain to paint out of your memory, how they fall on complicated stuff is easy when you see something, but when you need to draw something by the head (or however you say that) it's hard to make it realistic.

Dune

Here's an example of the benefits of working in 3D; same scene, just added some extra grass, and (post) smoke.

choronr

Very good. Lighting plays the strongest role in almost any composition.

TheBadger

The people actually look really good here. Now you need to animate them, get them in as a sequence and render out a movie scene. I am waiting for this a long time!  :)
It has been eaten.

Dune

You will have to wait a little longer then  :P No such thing ahead.