The Crossing - WIP

Started by otakar, March 06, 2015, 12:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Inspired by Ulco's 800 AD work, I started this scene. It's still early, the focus so far has been on the river and the path. The river flow is pretty fast, as this is mountain runoff in higher elevation.

archonforest

Awesome start! Love it. The road and the river with the stones are cool!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

Great start! looking forward to seeing where this goes.

zaxxon

Dune

Cool start. I'll follow your progress eagerly!

TheBadger

nice playing! Will be cool to see this used in a bigger scene when you are ready.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

agree with the others, looking forward to updates...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Quote from: TheBadger on March 07, 2015, 06:22:36 PM
... Will be cool to see this used in a bigger scene when you are ready.

Actually I was hoping to go smaller to hide all the imperfections! ;)

Here's a small clip of the near side bank. I found a shack on the Internet and I wanted to make sure to get the scaling right, so I inserted the stickmen as well. The vegetation is not final, it's more of a test of some coverage areas.

As usual, progress is very slow for me, but your comments do encourage me, so thank you!

TheBadger

Good set up. Plants are already looking real nice. Path just ends? Water will be hard to finish, but looks like you are more than half way there!
No good with water tricks my self, so can't be of any help.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Going to be very nice, keep at it (encouraging, encouraging  :P ). Maybe add some dirt to the shed's panels.

archonforest

Lovely!!
Like it a lot. Agree with Dune to mess up the house a bit.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

3Dships

The white water looks very good. Encouraging to see. It's not quite clear if this involves white caps (foam generated by the top of waves or that it is random foam on the water surface though?
The passions are the winds that fill the ship's sails; although they sometimes cause its destruction it could not proceed without them. -Voltaire-

otakar

Quote from: 3Dships on March 11, 2015, 06:04:57 AM
The white water looks very good. Encouraging to see. It's not quite clear if this involves white caps (foam generated by the top of waves or that it is random foam on the water surface though?

It's a combination of the setup that MHaze and DandelO have come up with and shared here. From a certain distance, I find that it looks quite believable, though those were built more for ocean whitecaps.

mhaze

Nice update - look forward to seeing this progress.  During my research on foam I found that, as a general rule foam does not follow the heights of the waves unless its breaking or wind driven.  After it comes off the tops it floats randomly on top of the water.