TG materials sticky request

Started by TheBadger, March 31, 2015, 12:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

Was curious if anyone would want to lobby for a materials sticky? And then also if anyone would want to help fill said sticky?

Other render soft and 3D soft in general have collections of materials created by users. But we still don't have very much at all in this vain. A thread where we all make something and post it like this:
[attach=1]

Maybe we can find and object and all use it to present the materials, like so:
[attach=3]

So metals, and skin, and kinds of stone, all procedural! I was thinking the shaders could be put into a null shader before posting so that it could all be real neat and tidy.

We have a good amount of clips for various things that are important to TG now. But I was thinking some nice collections of materials would really add some more value for us all.

There are already a few in the forums. DandelO even made a procedural wood floor!.. Somewhere. So like that but all in one place and put into a null for drop in easy use for all... Or something.

Wanted this for a long time. Anyone wanta try it, see how much we can collect?

???
It has been eaten.

yossam

Dune

Good idea. That metal thing is a nice start!

bobbystahr

Hear hear, memories of Imagine where we had tons of preset procedurals that came with it, and the ability to save attributes as an .iob(Imagine's .tgo)was also handy. Be nice to have, and be building a library like this. Great Idea Michael.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

mhaze

TheBadger

GREAT!  :)

So lets figure out how we should do this. I always see those funny objects like in the OP, that other software users employ to present the materials. Is this something we can do? Is it beneficial, or just pure presentation? Sure makes things look quality! But what would be the best way to show the collection for TG? I think we should all do the same thing for cohesion and order, so to speak. Sorta visually consistent.

And if you think so too, then what object can/should we use? Again, if that is practical for TG I don't know.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on March 31, 2015, 02:44:32 PM
GREAT!  :)

So lets figure out how we should do this. I always see those funny objects like in the OP, that other software users employ to present the materials. Is this something we can do? Is it beneficial, or just pure presentation? Sure makes things look quality! But what would be the best way to show the collection for TG? I think we should all do the same thing for cohesion and order, so to speak. Sorta visually consistent.

And if you think so too, then what object can/should we use? Again, if that is practical for TG I don't know.

could we maybe use a teapot? that'd be funny and cool.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Back in the Imagine days I had an object composed of 4 sub groups, sphere, cube, cone and they sat on a plane....displays well if I recall correctly
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Did a little looking. I cant find an object that people use for this. I guess it really does not mater. I just thought it be nice to find one and put it in the top of the sticky for everyone. But It does not mater since you can use just about anything. Do you have tea pot, Bobby?

will do this Oshyan?
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

You're asking if we'll make it a sticky post? Sure, we can give it a shot. If it doesn't get traction we'll want to unsticky it of course. And hopefully it goes without saying (though I'm saying it anyway :D ) that it should be a new post in the File Sharing area and not a continuation of this thread.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

iI knew I had one somewhere, The Utah Teapot
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Apparently you have to have permission to use this commercially so we'd be borderline legal sharing textures on it...I suggest a poll; if you have a model you think would be good then, upload a pic and when the uploads stop we could , uh, vote?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

How about using TG's sphere or cube?
We all have it.

Dune

Yes, no distraction from strange shapes.