TG materials sticky request

Started by TheBadger, March 31, 2015, 12:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I like the last one too. How a bout three tgd's, each with a standard setup, and each based on a certain size: very small, say up to  0.5m, medium, like Fleetwood's sample, and large, same but with a ~10-100m scale. So if you want to show a tgc, pick the best suitable, and work it out.

mhaze

Ditto! we're all agreed - lets get it set up now.

bobbystahr

Don't we already have something very like this in the Library? I don't use it as much as I should but did last night and all the Preset .tgc entries had descriptive thumbs. How do we get our .tgcs to do that as the older ones and ones I've made don't?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

One TGD with 3 objects. where two of them are hidden by default. And with 3 cameras. The default camera being the close up one.   ???
It has been eaten.

Dune

fleetwood

This is what I have at the moment.

I thought about having three render nodes, each with a different camera, but I came to the conclusion that hiding and unhiding things or enabling and disabling objects would make this too messy to use. IMO it is better to have separate.  Besides that, members will most likely be adding other TGDs for special purposes like planetary scale textures and glass, etc.

The large scale version main ball is 100 meters in diameter.
The medium scale version main ball is 2 meters in diameter.
The small scale version main ball is 0.5 meters in diameter.

The example material is the red brick or lava-like stuff I think of as "hamburger".

Dune

What's the dark blue 'shiny' stuff in the first render? Perhaps same as I encountered in my snow landscape... displ intersection error? Is it less if rendered at lower quality?

Re: setup: looks good.

fleetwood

I think the shiny speckles, are probably due to driving the roughness and reflection settings with power fractals. I was wanting highlights when I made this material, really trying for a ground meat look.

Oshyan

I think what you're seeing in that image might actually be the material displacing negatively *under* the white surface, and then being in shadow from the parts that are positively displaced. Different thing than what you encountered I think Ulco.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Made this, have to map it yet.
The part that gets the materials should be dense enough for good displacement in TG.

[attach=1]

I think that since things like glass and metals would be added to a non-TG object, that we should have a non-TG object to test and display with. I may be wrong now, but my understanding is that a TG object is not going to be the same as most non-TG objects. If that even maters I don't know. Anyway I enjoyed making it for some reason.

It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on April 04, 2015, 10:49:58 PM
Made this, have to map it yet.
The part that gets the materials should be dense enough for good displacement in TG.

[attach=1]

I think that since things like glass and metals would be added to a non-TG object, that we should have a non-TG object to test and display with. I may be wrong now, but my understanding is that a TG object is not going to be the same as most non-TG objects. If that even maters I don't know. Anyway I enjoyed making it for some reason.

There's merit in this observation.  8)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Quote....I may be wrong now, but my understanding is that a TG object is not going to be the same as most non-TG objects. If that even maters I don't know....

You are right.And moreover there is a difference between UV mapped and non-UV-mapped
models too.(world space)

So,now we have at least three tgds for procedural objects (landscape size is still missing),
two or more for imported models (e.g. for exceptional cases).
Simple and idiot prove indeed. ;)

bobbystahr

I still want to know how to make thumbs like the preset .tgc files come with. Then we could simply use the already there Library....I use it for the presets but it's just as fast to go to my clip files dir for any that aren't. If I knew how, I'd do all I have that way...simplicity itself.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Or is this topic about use in this forum in File Sharing?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

little poem

That being so
  I'd still like to know
     How to package the .tgcs.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.