Gas Giant animated clouds

Started by freelancah, April 03, 2015, 09:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

It's just an animated surface texture but works fairly well. A vortex warp for the eye. Will post the file soon

Oshyan

Awesome work! Surprisingly realistic.

- Oshyan

freelancah

I guess it could be tuned by controlling the rotation of each layer but I used the easy way and rotated all at once. Worked out quite well :)

The vortex function might have better functionality if we had more control over the vector forces. Perhaps a gradient or a graph that would have values from 0-1 which would scale the forces to match the  radius. Currently having lots of issues controlling the outer rim relative to the center. Either one has usually too much or too little force. One solution I have found is stacking the vortex shaders with opposite forces to have better control. Its not really a good solution because its difficult to control :P

bigben

Interesting animation. Thanks for sharing the file. A latitude-based mask would allow you to have alternating bands rotating in opposite directions. Haven't played with the vortex node yet

freelancah

The bands can be rotated with opposite directions if desired but I was just lazy and animated the whole thing :)

lat 64

Quote from: bigben on April 04, 2015, 08:09:37 PM
Interesting animation. Thanks for sharing the file. A latitude-based mask would allow you to have alternating bands rotating in opposite directions. Haven't played with the vortex node yet
My head reeled when I read this. We could be using multiple vortex nodes to animate turbulence, all without Navier–Stokes.

Like I know what that means. :o

Anyway nice work on the gas giant. Natural gas blue!
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!