Can this be done in TG3?

Started by bobbystahr, May 14, 2015, 11:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Saw this(he has a whole series) on CGSOCIETYbeta today...any tips on doing this?

http://cgimg.s3.amazonaws.com/t/g00/173300/1248449_large.jpg
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Emmeline

Being a horrid newbie - could you do that with a crater shader thrown into reverse, and panning the camera up so the bottom bit is not visible?
Theres a tower tutorial somewhere on these forums that would be helpful for this.
Just my $0.02

Edit: When looking closer at the image I figured that might not work. Leaving the post up, to generate more ideas though. :-\

bobbystahr

It seems from his other images that there's more than a touch of PhotoShop involved. He's very good with that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Easy in photoshop, largely doable in TG, I'd say. Stack some cubes for the floating thing, make the top out of a larger cube. The most difficult would be the water from the side, but even that would in theory be possible.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 15, 2015, 01:48:13 AM
Easy in photoshop, largely doable in TG, I'd say. Stack some cubes for the floating thing, make the top out of a larger cube. The most difficult would be the water from the side, but even that would in theory be possible.

Easy is a stretch, must be a few hundred cubes in that 'floating thing' heh heh heh.  I did think of that but it seems a computer unfriendly approach for old under-powered machines like mine. Just thinking, maybe populate a cube with .obj cubes as the displaceable one can't be a pop member.That way you could possibly get it close.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

That guy's images are 2D only,aren't they? I mean he doesn't use 3D elements,
but I might be wrong of course.
Anyway... could be hard to arrange the cubes like that,the skulls especially.
One would be better off sculpting/modeling the big chunk and then go from
there.(Sculptris is still free Bobby ;))
But,in case you like to place several cubes better,think of the cubic noise.
Some of the TG cubes could be displaced with that noise.Then a bit of stretching
and warping maybe...

fleetwood

a rough test using a displaced cube only 3 Terragen meters high so the plants and castle are extremely tiny scale.
Used a random block image and a skull image as cylindrical projection displacement input to the cube plus power fractals.
Base Planet surface is turned off.

Noble-one tree by Walli
Castle by Herminio Nieves

Dune

You're getting a long way with this. I think the cubes should have softer corners and set apart a little, then displaced, so you get the 'cracks' between them. But the 3D effect is already far better than in the original.

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on May 15, 2015, 08:25:14 PM
a rough test using a displaced cube only 3 Terragen meters high so the plants and castle are extremely tiny scale.
Used a random block image and a skull image as cylindrical projection displacement input to the cube plus power fractals.
Base Planet surface is turned off.

Noble-one tree by Walli
Castle by Herminio Nieves

Pretty damn good, I've only had success in mapping the Cube using Y projection and rotating the cube -90 on the X so the Y points up, then scaling the Cube in the Y so it sorta becomes a Plane at that point....makes great walls like that though, hmmmmm 4 walls + a top + bottom = a cube and as separate objects it can be tapered........
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New