Fake Tree Rocks Pop

Started by WAS, October 23, 2015, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm not sure who else has used this technique before, but I honestly, myself find it to be more realistic then using the Fake Stones Shader, as it allows you to control the surface a lot better, and you don't get the weird distortion levels at the base of trees which brings out your base stone texture rather then the tree foliage color specified to the fake stones.

Download the test project here

AP

I tried using the fake stones shader for distant trees on a few occasions but to no avail.

Dune

It looks very good in the distance. I used fake stones indeed, and perlin 3D noise as a base for distant trees. You need to smooth ground however to get the colors only into the stones, so it's a bit of a trick. 

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 24, 2015, 03:32:04 AM
It looks very good in the distance. I used fake stones indeed, and perlin 3D noise as a base for distant trees. You need to smooth ground however to get the colors only into the stones, so it's a bit of a trick.

Ohh is that the trick! I remember I tried exporting your trees as a TGC and it was really bad so I made my own based upon your principles but couldn't get it just right.

Question

Is there a way to keep the displacement scale the same on a population scale min-max? Or is it really just using the same X unique variations and scaling up/down?