My standard processor distribution for working on 2 scenes at once

Started by Upon Infinity, April 30, 2015, 05:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Assuming a quad-core processor, although the same could be done for 6 and 8 core machines, as well.

cpu 0: Terragen instance 1
cpu 1: Shared
cpu 2: Shared
cpu 3: Terragen instance 2

lowest priority for both instances of Terragen.  I find this is a useful setup.  It gives each instance of Terragen a dedicated processor and 2 more if they aren't being used.  Generally, while the next test render is being performed, I'm setting up and making changes on the other one.  It also allows a bit of processor leeway to have other things going on while working;  music, YT, etc.

I'd be interested in other people's workflow, if different.  Or am I the only one who does this?

Dune

I have an i7 dedicated to render, and sometimes work on TG. Hardly anything else on it; no music, no antivirus, no internet. Main work is on an old 32bit machine. Still.....

Upon Infinity

I see.  Outside of the tablet, I only have the one pc.  Of course, I don't use the tablet to render.  Except for test renders, anyway.

Also, I have a lot of scenes to setup.  So I may just be the only one taking them two at a time.  Although if either one has a lot of imported objects, then I'm basically down to just working on the one, however.  Otherwise, I'm out of RAM.  :'(

Kadri

I wrote this somewhere here before.
For my animation i used a kinda similar way.
I begin to render one scene and around half way i begin to render the second one.
I let Windows 8 control the multitasking and don't bother at all with the core affinities.

Because Terragen doesn't use an adaptive (?) render approach you can see that in the last bucket rendering line stage Terragen uses less and less cores until it finishes.
When the last buckets takes a long time to render you can loose quite a time.
This is very scene depended and not so important every time of course.
I haven't had time to test if i really get faster render times in general, but it looked so to me.
Many of my scenes had only 1 or two buckets rendering for a very long time. In that way the second scene used the idle cores fully.
You have to have enough RAM for two (or even more) scenes otherwise i doubt that you have any benefit at all.

Upon Infinity

Yeah, that's a good idea.  If you could set it up so that odd and even numbered frames are each rendered separately on different instances, it would be more efficient

Kadri

You can do that.
Use the "Sequence step" and the "Sequence first" options in the "Sequence/Output" tab in the render node for this.
I use it in this way most the time.