Fake Stone shader mess

Started by AP, May 19, 2015, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I do not know what I possibly could have done wrong here but my stones are horrid. Basically I want a soft edge flat top to the stones while curving them slightly at the same time as seen in the image. It would be easy to using the displaced cube object but I need hundreds of these scattered and there is no way I am duplicating hundreds of cube objects here and there. For detail I added a small displacement but that does not seem to be working either.

fleetwood

Stone tallness was set at 15. Seems much for a 1 meter size stone.
Boosting the displacement tolerance up to 2 in the Planet gets rid of some artifacts.
I got this result by backing off some of the parameters, but may not be what you want
and these are 5 meter stones, tallness 3

AP

Thank you but I wanted the taller and bent stones. I wonder if this is just a limitation with taller stones and displacements? I will try and experiment some more though.

It would be nice to have a population feature for the cube objects. Making pinnacles, mesas and other features as it would be a whole lot more easy.

bobbystahr

Quote from: ChrisC on May 19, 2015, 07:00:04 PM
Thank you but I wanted the taller and bent stones. I wonder if this is just a limitation with taller stones and displacements? I will try and experiment some more though.

It would be nice to have a population feature for the cube objects. Making pinnacles, mesas and other features as it would be a whole lot more easy.

Not just cubes, all the displaceable objects would be very cool to be able to populate
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

Tunguska looking this time.

AP

Quote from: bobbystahr on May 19, 2015, 08:17:10 PM
Quote from: ChrisC on May 19, 2015, 07:00:04 PM

Not just cubes, all the displaceable objects would be very cool to be able to populate

Agreed.

AP

Quote from: fleetwood on May 19, 2015, 08:30:33 PM
Tunguska looking this time.

That looks a lot closer this time. I will have to take a look now.  :)