rotating the @#$%^&* plane

Started by bobbystahr, May 20, 2015, 07:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Sigh, sorry bout that emphatic title but I need help. How does one, without a math degree, rotate the @#$%^&* plane. all the other procedural objects respond to the widgets, and yet the one I would use the most remains a great mystery I ponder as I pass it by and squash a cube instead. Rotate around Y would be a nice start.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Quote from: bobbystahr on May 20, 2015, 07:16:22 PM
Sigh, sorry bout that emphatic title but I need help. How does one, without a math degree, rotate the @#$%^&* plane. all the other procedural objects respond to the widgets, and yet the one I would use the most remains a great mystery I ponder as I pass it by and squash a cube instead. Rotate around Y would be a nice start.
I take it Bobby that you're using the plane to make your waterfall?

fleetwood

Since you can make a cube as thin as you like, I'd say just use the cube and be done. Cube has no problems with visible side and invisible side either.

Matt did explain the way to set the plane vectors , you need to look up the sin and cos of the rotation angle you want ----

".... example of a 23 degree rotation about the Y axis needs to be worked out using some trigonometry, which is as follows:

Rotate Y = 23:

Edge vector a = cos(23), 0, -sin(23)
Edge vector b = sin(23), 0, cos(23)

Set your calculator to degrees to calculate the following:

sin(23) = 0.3907311285
cos(23) = 0.9205048535

Plug this into the Plane:

Edge vector a = 0.9205048535, 0, -0.3907311285
Edge vector b = 0.3907311285, 0, 0.9205048535

Note the minus sign.

BTW, the maths might look like I'm rotating in the opposite direction from what you'll see in text books, but I'm matching the Y rotation in other TG objects, which is supposed to match the heading on a compass.

Now, if you want to rotate on the X or Z axes, here's the trig for those:

Rotate X = 23:

Edge vector a = 1, 0, 0
Edge vector b = 0, sin(23), cos(23)

Rotate Z = 23:

Edge vector a = cos(23), -sin(23), 0
Edge vector b = 0, 0, 1

Matt"

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on May 20, 2015, 07:20:31 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on May 20, 2015, 07:16:22 PM
I take it Bobby that you're using the plane to make your waterfall?

Actually no, trying to limit the water but at current I have the Lake masked with a SS shader and it's working but I'd be done with a rotateable Plane. Tried the Card object but couldn't wrangle that either. And it doesn't displace.

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Upon Infinity

What are you attempting to do with the plane object?  It might be better to import a flat shape of modelled geometry to do the same job.  The native plane object in Terragen is quite unwieldy.  My own past frustrations are here:  http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,14861.0.html

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on May 21, 2015, 03:27:13 AM
What are you attempting to do with the plane object?  It might be better to import a flat shape of modelled geometry to do the same job.  The native plane object in Terragen is quite unwieldy.  My own past frustrations are here:  http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,14861.0.html

Just at this time make a strip of water with controllable  displacement , not just bump for the waves. As I have made 'strip" water previously  I loaded a Plane but as the location wasn't in a default position, the  Plane just wasted my time. Finally just masked a Lake with a SS shader.

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Unless you need the whole plane to be the strip you could mask the
strip shape -via SSshader - and simply rotate the mask on the plane.

N810

Can't you rotate objects freely in the preview window by clicking on them first,
or was that only good for movement...  :-\
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Upon Infinity

Quote from: N810 on May 21, 2015, 01:32:05 PM
Can't you rotate objects freely in the preview window by clicking on them first,

Not available for the plane object.

bobbystahr

Quote from: N810 on May 21, 2015, 01:32:05 PM

Not the plane, it has no widget for transformation...dunno why not. heh heh heh.UI and I at the same time near enough
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on May 21, 2015, 11:45:33 AM
Unless you need the whole plane to be the strip you could mask the
strip shape -via SSshader - and simply rotate the mask on the plane.

Hadn't thought of that but masked a Lake which worked, though the 11 hour render is disappointing
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New