DandelO's Crack...

Started by TheBadger, May 26, 2015, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Of course this thread is about a great clip file made by user, DandelO.

I tried to find the answer I am looking for by search, but it turns out nearly everyone uses DandelO's clip file of surface cracks and also gives credit. I could not find the original thread for the file share in my bookmarks.

Specifically, my question is about the width of the cracks (the spaces between non displaced surfaces) created by the clip-file.
I would like to make the cracks wider and maybe even deeper, to the point where there is much more crack than surface area by %. From looking at the clip, this would mean a redo of the file.

If you are reading this martin, that clip-file is one of the most useful I have come across, and what I am trying to do to it will make it an even more diverse tool for me.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Hi, Michael. I haven't looked at those files for years but if you just take the one called (something like)1m Cracks and route it through a Transform Shader you can rescale them to any size.
I'd probably just start from scratch, they're bound to be well outdated and sillily constructed clipfiles by now. No?
A single Voronoi Fractal colour function should do everything those old files do, and more. Bin them! :D

bobbystahr

Quote from: dandelO on May 26, 2015, 08:31:21 AM
Hi, Michael. I haven't looked at those files for years but if you just take the one called (something like)1m Cracks and route it through a Transform Shader you can rescale them to any size.
I'd probably just start from scratch, they're bound to be well outdated and sillily constructed clipfiles by now. No?
A single Voronoi Fractal colour function should do everything those old files do, and more. Bin them! :D

Those voroni PFs are really a useful add in as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

What an unfortunate yet humorous thread title, heh heh heh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Unfortunate? I thought I was up there with comedy central! Lets never get too old for South Park level humor!  ;D

@martin
Thanks for getting back. I'll take a look at the newer option, Im just used to using your drop-in solution. But just to make sure that we understand one another... The thing that looked complex to me was to make the crack part wider by meters, so that there was much less surface than gap...
Ill have to use the Voronoi just to see what I can do with it.

What does "bin them" mean?

It has been eaten.

AP

He probably meant bind them.

yossam

dandelO

Nope, I literally meant, throw them in the bin! :D

I see what you mean now. At first I thought you just wanted to rescale them, not widen the crack lines.
I'll have a look later but I think there might be a final Colour Adjust node inside it that could possibly make the white(crack) area wider, without scaling the size, I'm not sure.
I think I should have it in a clip file folder somewhere, we're going back a few computers in time, talking about these, though!

AP

Learn something new every day.  ;)

dandelO

Well, I had a look but can't really see any easy way to enlarge the crack patterns in those files without rescaling the entire cell sizes. They don't work the way I thought with that Colour Adjust idea. ^^

You could likely somehow take a Voronoi ridge fractal's colour, without such hard edges as these crack files and Subtract or Difference its inverse from it with a Mix, or Merge Shader to widen the visible borders between the cells. ???
Give it a go...

TheBadger

HA! At first I was like, I don't want to post this question, cuz it will be easy for everyone else, and make me look stupid for having to ask about it. But now I am like, GOOD! I hope it hurts you bunch of Geniuses! Know my pain! :P :D

No but seriously, I'll try your ideas and see what I can get it to do. Thanks man .

It has been eaten.

Dune

There are no stupid questions, Michael... well some  ;) Not this one. It's quite simple actually. Set it up like this and play with sizes (add more sizes if needed), and warp and color adjust. You can also add a transform shader to stretch, a merge to combine different stretched lines, etc.

N-drju

Not long ago I reworked Martin's crack ( :P) to create a randomized road network, sharpening the borders of the "streets". Here's the thread about it;

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19429.0.html

I may yet rework it once again to solve my cloud problem. :P

@ Dune - what I see above is also helpful!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

TheBadger

@ Dune
Do I only have to drop those blues in, or do I have to know what the hell they do?

It has been eaten.

Dune

You don't need to know, except that the constant is the average size of the structure (5 in this case). The others I opened for you to see the settings.