harbour 1100 AD

Started by Dune, May 26, 2015, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

With obvious complaints of my machine, I managed to squeeze out a crop of a total sized render of 28000 x 6222. 98% of memory was used, 15.8 GB. Subdiv cache at 800. Detail 0.4, AA4 again, this time GISD worked ok. So I guess it's the size that takes up all this memory anyway. Oshyan; maybe you didn't read the resolution properly, it's not 3240, but 32,400! If that's still strange, there must be something else wrong. Assets are very scarce.

choronr

Remarkable planning here. This will be most interesting watch and read about.

Oshyan

Pretty sure I read and calculated the size correctly, so it does seem odd. But total memory use has never been fully clear to me in how it all works (various buffers, etc.). I will try a render that size myself right now and see what happens (I have 32GB of memory)...

Hmm, yep. On my St. Helens scene, straight up to 23GB of memory used when rendering at that resolution, heh.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on June 09, 2015, 02:33:22 PM
Remarkable planning here. This will be most interesting watch and read about.

indeed
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks Oshyan, good too know it's not something wrong on my end. I am going to split the render in 2 parts, without cropping, just camera rotation. Half a render like that (16000x7200) should fit within my 16GB, I hope.

Henry Blewer

It is good to see your starting work. Usually, you have your projects developed along more before you post. Congratulations on the commission!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Thanks Henry. Usually my renders are quicker done, so there's no chance to put up many interims. This is a long distance thing, and I hope to encourage some users here. As well as get comment of course. The more eyes, the better results.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 10, 2015, 12:10:48 PM
Thanks Henry. Usually my renders are quicker done, so there's no chance to put up many interims. This is a long distance thing, and I hope to encourage some users here. As well as get comment of course. The more eyes, the better results.

I get encouragement and intimidation with every exhibit of your awesome skill...and I learn lots as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Oshyan

I say you just use Pixel Plow. Their machines all have at least 32GB of RAM, possibly 64. :D

- Oshyan

Kadri

I was curious too and tried with only the default scene in Terragen at your resolution (28000 x 6222) Ulco.
Even that barren scene goes nearly close to 22 GB RAM use (i have 32 GB).
With 16 GB RAM Terragen is maybe using the swapfile and rendering slower as it can.

Nice start as always by the way. I was just waiting to see more  ;)

Dune

Here's some more, just a test to see what my latest buildings look like. I reduced enviro light to 0.5 to try to get a darker interior, but it doesn't really seem to help. Maybe I should put some black walls behind the windows. Still have to make some bars in the lower windows too.

Hannes

That looks fantastic, Ulco!
Why is the interior so bright? Did you use any additional lights? If not, maybe increasing the occlusion weight would help?

Hannes

Can't stop thinking about the bright interior. Usually it's a problem to get some interior light at all inside the buildings.
Something else: these buildings look really great, but they are perfectly straight. What about some very subtle mesh deformation to make them less perfect?

bobbystahr

have you tried negative lights in the buildings?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New