Farther down the trail *updated with final render*

Started by RArcher, August 07, 2007, 01:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

That luminosity really makes those leaves look nice!  Do you know what values you've used?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

RArcher

Attached are the leaf portions of the Olea trees for the image.  The luminosity is set at 0.1 for this particular scene.  I also added a power fractal to the colour function of the leaf node, but whether that actually had any effect or not I have no idea.

moodflow

Quote from: RArcher on August 08, 2007, 05:34:19 PM
Attached are the leaf portions of the Olea trees for the image.  The luminosity is set at 0.1 for this particular scene.  I also added a power fractal to the colour function of the leaf node, but whether that actually had any effect or not I have no idea.

Thanks for the clip files.  The powerfractals will definitely affect the leaf details, but they have to be scaled down tremendously.  I've been using a scale of 0.1 and smallest scale of 0.01 .
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Victor

If to add stones in the foreground it would be even better... ;)

RArcher

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I've tried to put together a final render using some of the ideas given.  I am quite pleased with just about everything.  Thanks for taking a look!

-Ryan Archer

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

FrankB

awesome, man!

mind talking a bit how you've done it, share a few setting (also on the vegation color and lighting), and what you've done for postwork?

regards,
Frank

rcallicotte

RArcher, this is beautifully real.  Good job!  Share what you will so we can learn.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Great job, I still can figure out canyons even after the tutorials looks as if you got it down though.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

efflux

Excellent terrain and view through the canyon. I'm not sure the final version is altogether the best though but some of the techniques in it are cool. Maybe a touch more colour variation in the rocks. Tree leaves look excellent but the tree placement in the distance in the final version looks a bit concocted and a central distraction. Maybe blend techniques from the earlier and final versions more subtly. The sharp light seems to make more sense in this scene. I haven't experimented with the soft light technique but I make the assumption it is possible to make it a little more subtle.

RArcher

My wife told me almost word for word just what you did Efflux  ;D  And after looking at it objectively, I have to say you are both 100% correct.  I'll be fiddling around a bit more with it next week after letting it stew for a few days.  Once I have everything worked out, I will post the .tgd (even though it seems embarrassingly uncomplicated compared to some of the amazing things posted here) for anyone who's interested.  Thanks again for the critiques.

sjefen

I like it. Great job with the texturing.
But I think the grass look a little to big when next to the tree.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

efflux

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it's simple. Sometimes you can create things which people think are complicated but are actually very simple effective use of the app. Complicated FG techniques can be very useful but they are ultimately used to create a piece of art. Sometimes you can have a brain wave to just change one parameter on a function which ends up with something totally unique.

One thing I love in this render is the distant view through the gorge. The rock face has beautiful lighting showing the surfaces nicely. Very realistic. Then you have that lower light area. Your eye is immediately drawn through that space. I think the hard light and the general rock and lighting arrangement aids it better in the previous versions. The feel is that this would be a cool place to walk through and explore. In my opinion this is actually totally lost in the last version. The feel of the picture is all important beyond any techniques which you can get lost in.

Another point is that using soft light or soft shadows softens shapes because obviously hard light creates more dramatic shapes which can end up being very much part of the composition of the picture. Although, coming fro the UK, I'm probably biased is favour of strong hard light because usually all we get here is soft dull overcast light. Having said that most of my renders aren't that clear in terms of lighting and atmosphere.

efflux

By the way the post processing on the second version works well whatever it is. I'd be interested to know what has been done.

RArcher

Final version for the time being.  Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

I've uploaded the .tgd and terrain file for anyone interested.  It is not complicated at all, but it got the job done for what I was looking for.  The terrain file was a 10 second creation from tg 0.9. 

http://www.archer-designs.com/temp/farther-down-the-trail.zip

Postwork included:

- Levels adjustments
- Volker's soft light technique
- Small amount of extra texturing
- Some sharpening
- A little blur on the foreground grass clumps

-Ryan Archer