Vdisp workaround

Started by Hannes, June 03, 2015, 05:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Don't want to hijack Ulco's thread any longer...
So now I have a vector displacement map (downloaded from here: https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Vector+Displacement)
How do I use it? If I create a vector displacement shader and apply an image map shader with the Vdisp map as vector function the whole planet disappears.
Same if I do this under the shaders tab. What am I doing wrong?  :(

Dune

Good of you, thanks Hannes. Reduce the amount of displacement! Maybe even to 0.01, depends on the size of the Y projected image.

Hannes

Doesn't work. Here is a screenshot of my setup. The planet is gone, no matter how much I decrease the displacement.
I'm waiting for the moment I'm slapping my head realizing the silly mistake I've made...

Hannes

Tried to apply the map to an imported object. I get this error messages and some weird render.

Hannes

Well, it's head slapping time!!
Got it! And the most embarrassing thing is, that Ulco had already explained how to do it exactly. Checking "Data is linear" instead of "Convert to linear" in the Image map shader is what Ulco said.
I missed that and so the terrain disappeared. Now I have red ears...

Dune

Yeah, that's right. I also missed that in the beginning. You can warp this as well, interesting to experiment.

j meyer

Chris_x422 has shared a canyon vdisp map in the thread where it all
started.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16110.msg159952.html#msg159952
There are some more good tips in that thread btw.

TheBadger

oh I am very glad there is new stuff on this topic in the forum today! One of my favorite topix! ;D And now we got Hannes on board!!!

QuoteEars.jpg
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Very moden art! its so funny, you could clean it up a bit and sell it to one of the stock image sites, but you were just playing! Just playing really is the best way to make images :o
It has been eaten.

Dune

You can do a nice one with some bugs climbing out of those ears  :P