Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The latest render looks great! If you render another animation, just be sure to use GI Caching. :)

- Oshyan

TheBadger

quite awesome. Both the last two!
It has been eaten.

Michelh

Thanks for the comments I started a new scene but I will come back to this one sometime this month I hope. I wanted to see what i could do with darker colors. ..

Michelh

I just have a quick question about water . How can I make the water follow a certain path .. I did try with painting on the ground and then telling terragen to only show water in that area like I would do for vegetation but it doesnt seem to work... ? oh an is it possible to have a paint brush that is square and not a circle ..

bobbystahr

Quote from: Michelh on July 28, 2015, 01:06:39 PM
I just have a quick question about water . How can I make the water follow a certain path .. I did try with painting on the ground and then telling terragen to only show water in that area like I would do for vegetation but it doesnt seem to work... ? oh an is it possible to have a paint brush that is square and not a circle ..

Try adding the water thru a Surface layer maybe..I did pot holes after a rain and I used a lake marginally below most of the ground surface and that worked well for me. Also a reflective shader right on the road surface modulated with fractal break up will give the impression of wetness...there y go 3 things t try.
An no, not as yet..re: square brush
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Stranded

Quote from: Michelh on July 01, 2015, 01:06:50 PM
Here is one frame I did render with new specs, more light, changed the light color change the hight of the camera.. added more grass and added some different grass, I also added rocks and abit more details to the clouds .

Wow Michelh, that's great! Gives me some ideas on what to improve on with my scene. Thanks.

Dune

You need 'real' water or just the reflection on ground? A water shader on ground won't work, as the planet is 'kind of solid'. If you want a 'real' puddle or stream, you'd have to use a masking method to displace the area down, and then add the terrain without the downward displacement to a local plane, or sphere (disable shadows) at height=0, and add a water shader there.
With a color adjust you can make all sorts of hard or soft variations of a (painted) mask.
If you want just the glistening and reflection of water, add a reflective shader to the masked surface layer in the terrain shader's line (below the rest of course). In that surface shader turn color off, and add a color adjust set at gamma 0.7 or so, to darken the wet area, then the reflective shader as child.

Michelh

Thank you  bobbystahr  and Dune for taking time to answer my question and yes dune it is real water i wish to do. Abit like this picture i posted here . Stranded I am glad i gaved you ideas for a new project, could you show it to me once you have a render done.?

1= Canal made with real water ( water follows a clear path )
2= Having roads that are also maybe driven form the same principle as for the Canal.
I basicaly wish to control where the water will go .

bobbystahr

Quote from: Michelh on July 29, 2015, 12:40:36 PM
Thank you  bobbystahr  and Dune for taking time to answer my question and yes dune it is real water i wish to do. Abit like this picture i posted here . Stranded I am glad i gaved you ideas for a new project, could you show it to me once you have a render done.?

1= Canal made with real water ( water follows a clear path )
2= Having roads that are also maybe driven form the same principle as for the Canal.
I basicaly wish to control where the water will go .

Dune has a road set up that has road and verges in it. The road could be lowered and the verges converted to roads following the canal(lowered road). I think it's in File Sharing . This isn't the thread I was thinking of but does a good job illustrating the concept
DL the tgd posted within the thread

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16684.msg163003.html#msg163003
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Michelh

Thanks, this looks like fun stuff to learn. At the moment I can only do roads that are staright as i dont understand how to make the texture able to follow a road that is way more curvy.

Michelh

Oh also very stupid question but do you think i could get the same render or even better with less time if i just lest say lower my detail render from 2 to somthing like 0.7 and make the AA go form 6 to maybe 12 or higher.?  just wondering if AA could replace the detail level up to a certain point while making render time less long as I am still on my old laptop quad core 6gb of ram ... No i still didn't buy a new computer .. still looking for ''the good deal'' .

Dune

Having the textures following the roads or rivers is easy; just use the same warping PF; take the textures through an extra warp node that uses the same vector displacement and PF.
And detail 2 is extremely high, takes ages to render. 0.5 is decent, 0.8 is already really good. I never use higher than that. Roughly said; detail works on the terrain, AA works on objects, and there AA 6 is already pretty good, IMO.

Michelh

Is there any way I could get a picture of that? because I get lost as soon as you say Warping PF ..

Dune

Sure. For the three simple shapes you can use any mask or combination. They will all three be warped the same, except 2, which is warped extra.