Milky clouds

Started by N-drju, June 11, 2015, 06:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Hey,

I am about to finish the Verne-esque project that I posted in some time ago, but I'd like to ask for your help with clouds. Compare the low, overcast clouds in the first picture with the ones in the last picture. Here's a link as a reminder;

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20044.msg197980.html#msg197980

Now, the clouds in the last picture look just too white, compared to what I achieved in the first test render where the shadows and scattering were clearly visible. The mackerel clouds in the higher altitude are responsible for this whitening-out. When I deleted the top layer of clouds, shadows on the bottom layer came back again.

It's not the matter of low resolution. It came out the same way in HD. GI is set at defaults (2/2), cloud lighting values are also somewhere around the defaults. I decreased the top cloud layer light propagation and it got a little bit better but not entirely...

However, I would like to keep both cloud layers there while keeping the shadows effect on the bottom one. :-\ Or maybe I am wrong and it is supposed to be that way?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

Wait, so you're saying if you *get rid of your top cloud layer*, the bottom one gets *darker*/more shadowed? Might need to send the TGD to support, that sounds weird. :D

- Oshyan

Matt

The shadows on the lower cloud might get lighter if there is a cloud above it which is scattering light down onto the lower cloud. That would be realistic, and the GI engine will usually simulate that, although it won't be absolutely accurate. You might want to tweak the Enviro Light settings, either in the Enviro Light node or individually in the lighting tab of the lower cloud layer.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

Hey,

Yes Matt, that's what I thought. I just wasn't sure if this would indeed look like that in real world. The mackerel sky above is really thin, so that does not cast very dark shadows Oshyan. :) I don't consider this to be too weird.

Anyway I managed to change settings (mostly light propagation and cloud density) and I solved my problem. Thanks. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"