Working with Blue Nodes 4 noobs

Started by bobbystahr, June 11, 2015, 09:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 11, 2015, 04:24:30 PM
See, that must be my problem, everytime I stop to think about what I want to make I just wind up playing my guitar. I'm thinking that as a math impaired colourblind musician, TG3 is going to have to stay an amusement rather than a real creative tool for me. I just spent 1 whole day trying to design a strata colour shader with PFs and the colour part threw me for a real loop. Finally I found a strata image and stole the colours for the PFs from it with Colour Spy and I think it's sorta cool but will get heavy critique when I post the image as all my colour attempts have. Mainly why I have been working with image maps for texture.

Have you ever thought about what happens to how the string oscillates when you move your fingers up and down the fret board. If you move your finger side to side you get further pitch variations. Then you have the tone from the type of wood that's used to build the guitar and how big the cavity is to add more to those resonances. Do you really care? It's fun to fuck around with. Sea Sick Steve has made his own instruments for most of his lifetime. His sound is quite unique. Can you be bothered to make your own guitar? Or is it easier to buy a Yamaha off the shelf?

How far do you want to explore?

If you want to learn, it becomes easier to digest. Because you want to. No matter how old you are. You put your energy into it.

And who knows what creative crap you come up with. No one told Steve what he should sound like.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hetzen on June 11, 2015, 05:42:33 PM
Have you ever thought about what happens to how the string oscillates when you move your fingers up and down the fret board. If you move your finger side to side you get further pitch variations. Then you have the tone from the type of wood that's used to build the guitar and how big the cavity is to add more to those resonances. Do you really care? It's fun to fuck around with. Sea Sick Steve has made his own instruments for most of his lifetime. His sound is quite unique. Can you be bothered to make your own guitar? Or is it easier to buy a Yamaha off the shelf?

How far do you want to explore?

If you want to learn, it becomes easier to digest. Because you want to. No matter how old you are. You put your energy into it.

And who knows what creative crap you come up with. No one told Steve what he should sound like.

Well as a 66 yr old acid head I have explored a great deal since 1966. But I explore with my ear and eye, not my intellect. Never did well in school and got turfed by Grade 10 for long hair ostensibly but creating chaos, and starting walk outs over the hair issue was more like it. I also did that intuitively..maybe that's what it is, it's not at all intuitive in the Blue Nodes cuz sans colour I handle it well up to that and the first bit I found very intuitive. I realize it's all math; colour, sound. light, these all can all be expressed mathematically. I'm not a dummie, but some folks can take out your tonsils and others would slit your throat if they tried. I feel it's a matter of personal inclination and what you were encouraged to learn as a youth and not, as implied, laziness on my part, or lack of a desire to learn..  ...re: music my true love...I never analyze it because the mystery of it is what makes it sweet for me. I notice all those things and say handy, I'll remember that move but never ever think "I wonder what that wave looks like...and why is it doing what it's doing". It's enough for me that it's doing it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

N-drju

If you ask me, I rarely if ever use blue nodes. I mostly use other people's clip files with blue nodes and tweak them to get slightly different results. I tried to learn something using wiki docs but sometimes I simply lack examples of what a given node can do in a project. Other times, I just don't understand it completely...

My knowledge of blue nodes is nearly non-existent - I only know how to create a circle using functions and what "constant scalar" can be used for. Still, I consider this a success given how complicated blue nodes are... :P

@ Hetzen - I would gladly learn all that if day would last for 36 hours. :P I'd like to have fun with that but it's just too overwhelming sometimes.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hetzen on June 11, 2015, 05:42:33 PM
Can you be bothered to make your own guitar? Or is it easier to buy a Yamaha off the shelf?

Heh heh, odd you mention that Jon. I have just signed up for a workshop in 2017 with a local guitar builder and will be building a copy of my 1958 0017 Martin all mahogany guitar but as a 12 string. Will be a challenge as the bracing will be all different and need designing as Martin's 12 strings don't have a good track record and my builder pal figures it's their bracing. I should learn a lot in that 2 week workshop.
re: my guitar...I looked for nearly 30 years before I found "my" guitar...tried lots, even a hand built one and nothing ever fit till I picked up "Martina" in the 2nd Encore music shop.

I think I'm more of a crafts person in the traditional mode(retired high end custom leather maker), work with the hands and materials to hand more than the brain...it runs in the background firing intuitive circuits when needed...I really dunno why this math block exists in me, most stuff, non math, comes really easy...I suspect a bad introduction to it as a child, but thanks for taking the time to try and encourage me. I'll still mess with them when I see 'em in a .tgc, and I'll post a WOO HOO if I ever grok 'em, hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hetzen

Nice one Bobby.

I honestly wasn't suggesting you were lazy with my post. I appologise if it came across like that.

What I was trying to say is that if I drop any resistance I may have to a subject, I find that I am more open to understanding it. I think by saying that you're not very good at maths is one of those barriers.

Like everything it is work and effort that gets results. Like you playing guitar.

And as N-dru points out, we only have so much energy and time.