How to make larger fractal noise?

Started by Elegy, August 19, 2007, 01:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elegy

I have some very large snow-capped mountains and I want to blend it in seamlessly into a rocky terrain as the altitude lowers. The problem is, the fractal breakage noise that blends the snow into the rock is absolutely tiny (see attached image) - the blend almost looks like fine grain. I want larger, more patchy and uneven blending and I've tried everything I can think of in the fractal breakup layer of the surface layer - I've raised the feature size, lead-in size, noise stretch, everything and it all comes out looking the same.

I'm probably missing something very obvious, but can someone suggest how I might go about fixing this? My render is almost perfect except for this minor detail. I'm using the non-commercial TG2 technology preview if that helps.

Will

feature scale is how you increase the size, the sliders below it also play into it as well.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Elegy

That's what I thought but when I increased the feature size to a hundred times larger, it didn't make any visible difference. I've found a way around the problem though, I just deleted the fractal breakup in the node editor and added another one.

Volker Harun

It seems that you were restricting the snow by altitude and slope? This can be difficult to handle at the edges.
If you only use the fractal for breaking up, you should increase the feature size and change the colour-offset.
Else playing with Coverage, Fractal breakup, Fuzzy Zone Softness (Tab Tweaks), Slope and Altitude fuzzy zone should rather help.

Matt

The default breakup shader has "distort by normal" enabled to improve the default appearance. That may make the changes to feature size less noticeable.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.