The Bike

Started by DocCharly65, June 25, 2015, 03:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Unfortunately the Harley Davidson at my Poolhouse had too many mistakes, I wasn't able to correct, so I searched anew Motorcycle.

I like this yamaha (by frugurt / found on TF3DM)

I needed app. one week identifying and repairing normals and  some more detail work. But now animation is rendering...
Some details are still not 100% as I want but will be unnecessary for the animation (5-6 seconds / rendertime 1 week)

On the floor I first time used a selfmade bumpmap to get a better structure / texture of the floor plates...

[attach=1]

Enjoy  8)

Next step is planned with a shoe stepping in the picture, giving the viewer the imagination that someone is getting onto the bike and starts it.

archonforest

This is cool man! I like the reflection of the house on the chrome parts.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Great, but I miss some GISD darkening under the tyre.

Hannes

Me too, it looks a bit like the bike is floating. And I think the tire tread is way too deep for such a bike. I assume it's not a motocross bike, right?
The texturing looks great though and the background as well.

DocCharly65

You re right Dune and Hannes.

Unfortunately I had to reduce the darkening until the undesirable side effects were gone.
I don't know, how the GISD exactly works but it seams to put darkening to every border even if it doesn't make sense.

Here is a pic before I reduced occlusion weight in the GISD:

[attach=1]

You can see the bad black border at the plant in the pot on the right. I reduced occlusion weight in small steps until the plant and pot were OK. I still see a rest of the darkening on my monitor but you're right it's almost gone.

But forgive me... this procedure to find a setting without that black borders was almost 7 hours so I lost patience...

Sorry Hannes - same for the tyre. After 36 hours separating parts with negative normals which were combined with parts with correct normals... and these combined parts again combined with other parts... with mixed negative and positive normals...

Pfffff....  ;)

I'd say the owner of this strange Poolhouse with the Rottweiler and ducks in the pool has put motocross tyres on this bike though he shouldn't  ;)

Kadri

I vaguely remember that GISD together with DOF might be problematic sometimes.Not sure.
Is there any unneeded darkening without DOF?

DocCharly65

Kadri, maybe you got it...

I had a test without blur (for fast rendertime) some time ago and did'nt have these problems.

Also in the living room in the poolhouse (with less blur effect) I didn't recognize this problem. It was there but not so bad.

Oshyan

GISD and DoF indeed do not work well together at present. I would suggest using GISD and rendering out a Depth Pass element and use that to create DoF in post processing.

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

Oh thanks for that info, Oshyan.

It's bad news on one hand but good news to know that I was not too stupid using GISD correctly :)

I already thought about a similar version like you described.
If the animation looks too bad (I don't really think so) I wanted to restart a cropped animation at the area around the wheel and add this area in postprocessing. I will see on saturday.

Cocateho

Looks great! Now if there was some way you could distort the tire to make it look like it was really bearing some weight? Not sure how doable that would be but it would definitely add realism.

DocCharly65

Thanks Cocateho.

I have good news and bad news for you...
The good news: I have really really tried to flatten the bottom of the tyre... (the last months several times... and today once more again)
The bad news: No chance with my knowledge and my equipment.

Don't be sad, instead of that I found another mistake and I can (and I think I will) repair it...
Guess what this is and where I will mount it  ;)

[attachimg=1]

j meyer

Flattening the tyre and making a bulge can be done in Wings - for a still that is.
Don't know how and what to do for an animated tyre though.
The disc of the brake seems to have some problems.Can't say what from looking
at the picture,maybe bad topology.

Clay

Quote from: j meyer on June 26, 2015, 01:04:35 PM
Flattening the tyre and making a bulge can be done in Wings - for a still that is.
Don't know how and what to do for an animated tyre though.
The disc of the brake seems to have some problems.Can't say what from looking
at the picture,maybe bad topology.
The polys just need smoothed on this disc brake

DocCharly65

Thanks Jochen and Clay
I have already checked what's about the disc of the brake.
I have already checked the bad topology but at the moment it's too difficult with my knowledge to repair.
Smoothinng unfortunately doesn't solve the problem.

In Wings3D it looks like this:
[attach=1]

My procedure with smoothing other objects worked good like this:
first I check that all parts are combined to get one single part
then autosmooth (seems to make sure that all parts are calculated together in relative correct direction)
then smooth
usually I get a better and smoothed object with more polygons.
But here I get a strange object like this:
[attach=2]

rendering without reflections the not modified object seems to have no problems but connecting reflection shaders I get things like these triangle areas as you see.

But when I checked meshes of high priced top quality bikes on turbosquid (100$ and more) they all seemed to be constructed with similar techniques to get the holes in the disc...

The tyre...
I could identify the tyre parts of the object:
[attach=3]

But I have no idea how to deform a special area.
Also working with single faces didn't give me a solution.
I still  hope people will not look too detailed and strict on the animation ...  I have still more than 23000 images in more than 20-30 scenes/shots to work on... just too much to finish until 2020  ;) ;D :o
[attach=4]