Cloud Column

Started by WAS, June 30, 2015, 04:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 30, 2015, 07:11:02 PM
The Localize feature does limit the cloud layer to a *sphere* and not a column, technically speaking. Practically speaking in many cases the result is an apparent *cylinder* when the Radius of the localization sphere exceeds the Depth of the Cloud Layer (thus creating essentially a cylindrical "slice" of the sphere). In the 3D preview the shape is currently shown as a cylinder, which is unfortunately not always technically accurate. We're considering better ways to handle this in the future, but we don't have an ideal solution yet.

Regarding the signature, we don't have specific rules besides length of signature at this point, largely because such rules have not been necessary. However historical convention in *this* social group has established a general lack of image-based signatures. That's not a judgment, simply a statement of fact; you can look through the archives of the forums for many years and see few to no signatures with images in them. So there is nothing inherently wrong with an image-based signature, it just doesn't fit in with how things have generally been done here, not by rule but by social convention. It's my view that the participants here are a big part of what define the tone and general aesthetic of the place, even if we do have to enforce some basic rules from time to time . I don't think this is one of those times, so you can do as you like within the rules. But it does make me wonder what the incentives for having an image-based signature are if there has been such vocal concern about it here in this community and one's desire is to be a part of it.

- Oshyan

Is there a way to scale the width from the bottom up using functions? Like it's dissipating outwards?

___

I'm a web developer of over a decade now, and graphic artist. I've run hundreds of communities, some of them huge (Digital Forums, AniShack, etc) boasting millions of users monthly (mainly anishack... streaming anime in such back before Youtube Lol) On all my boards, I've always allowed signatures and encouraged creative output and expression. Even from users that can't! Get some crayons out of Paint. We had a lot of paint based tags from users without graphic manipulation programs. Again, I see no reason to have a problem with it but again personal ones.

And no offense, but the community here is rather small, consisting of short-term users seeking occasional help. Not many it seems have really stuck around as "community" members. While it's true that a lot of them don't have signatures, that doesn't mean they wouldn't. I personally know hundreds of artists who use Terragen and use signatures on all the boards they visit. If not more extravagant on their DeviantArt About Me Note section which allows images. Or on Shadowness allowing customized backgrounds. Plenty of websites that even focus on this specific subject for other forums, TagFreak being one of them.

If there was a rule, like I said, I'd gladly remove it. But otherwise I like it. And it gets a lot of attention on my topics from google fetching a reasonably sized image for caching purposes. lol This is 2015 when information is served with images primarily for all these social networks and mobile/modern browsers on search engiens, otherwise google likes to put those results on the backburner as not "complete" in their SEO markup. Making you have to narrow things down to the nail head by adding "terragen" or similar definitive keywords.

If it's a rule, then there's that. Otherwise, I do expect my privacy to my rights in a adult and grown up forum without criticism. Otherwise, I will defend myself via long winded explanations of how uncivil, and actually disrespectful bringing it up is compared  to having it and defending it.

Oshyan

You can control a density shader that acts in a cloud volume to create effects similar to what you're describing. Threads in the forums on "plumes", "exhaust", "rockets", etc. ought to have some info and even TGDs to check out.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 30, 2015, 08:00:19 PM
You can control a density shader that acts in a cloud volume to create effects similar to what you're describing. Threads in the forums on "plumes", "exhaust", "rockets", etc. ought to have some info and even TGDs to check out.

- Oshyan

Didn't think of or try any of those keywords, thank you! Got a nice form, just need to expand it now.