3D Models and Terragen - Basics

Started by j meyer, July 03, 2015, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

At first glance it looks like you might need to pipe your power fractal through a
transform shader set to use world space.
But I'm going to download the train car model and have a look.

archonforest

Quote from: j meyer on March 21, 2017, 03:02:29 PM
At first glance it looks like you might need to pipe your power fractal through a

Got it. Will try it also. When u say transform shader you mean transform input shader right?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on March 21, 2017, 03:09:12 PM
Quote from: j meyer on March 21, 2017, 03:02:29 PM

Got it. Will try it also. When u say transform shader you mean transform input shader right?

That's the one Atilla
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Yes,thanks Bobby, a transform input shader. The transform merge also works, but the connections
are slightly different.
Had a quick look at the model and a transform shader set to world space is definitely
required to get the PF working correctly.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on March 21, 2017, 03:21:25 PM
Yes,thanks Bobby,

Just back from getting my income taxes done for free and I'm getting a new cpu from them I think....I have a RAM cashstash so with any luck in 6 weeks I'll actually have the computer I wanted with the new AMD Ryzen7 and 32 G RAM.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Quote from: j meyer on March 21, 2017, 03:21:25 PM
Yes,thanks Bobby, a transform input shader. The transform merge also works, but the connections
are slightly different.
Had a quick look at the model and a transform shader set to world space is definitely
required to get the PF working correctly.

Wow what a differennt! Tku Jochen. It works well. Now I just need to tweak it. One more question Jochen. Can u explain with some words what is happening wit the PF? If its too complicated then do not do it. I just like to understand how things works so I can think with it.  :D

j meyer

If you try to put a Power Fractal on a UV mapped surface only a very small,limited area
of the PF is applied to model - or a part of it - and depending of the shapes and count
of polygons it will get stretched or pinched.
World space makes TG 'see' the model's surface as a whole independent of the models
UV mapping. Try to imagine the Power Fractal's pattern as a huge sponge or so filling
the whole virtual space TG provides. With world space enabled the model stands within
this sponge and the PF pattern is applied to the model's surface accordingly.
Easy example: Let's say your model is a solid cube. Then a cube shape is cut out of that
aforementioned sponge, thus leaving a cube shaped hole in the sponge. If you now imagine
yourself standing in that hole  the pattern you would see on the walls and the ceiling and
bottom is what gets applied to the models surface.

Hard to explain somehow.

archonforest

Quote from: j meyer on March 21, 2017, 04:10:34 PM
If you try to put a Power Fractal on a UV mapped surface only a very small,limited area
of the PF is applied to model - or a part of it - and depending of the shapes and count
of polygons it will get stretched or pinched.
World space makes TG 'see' the model's surface as a whole independent of the models
UV mapping. Try to imagine the Power Fractal's pattern as a huge sponge or so filling
the whole virtual space TG provides. With world space enabled the model stands within
this sponge and the PF pattern is applied to the model's surface accordingly.
Easy example: Let's say your model is a solid cube. Then a cube shape is cut out of that
aforementioned sponge, thus leaving a cube shaped hole in the sponge. If you now imagine
yourself standing in that hole  the pattern you would see on the walls and the ceiling and
bottom is what gets applied to the models surface.

Hard to explain somehow.

TKU! Great info. You should write a book man! I would buy it even for 100 bucks!

j meyer

:) You're welcome.
And remember when the next question pops up. ;)