Simple strata like in the old days of TG

Started by gregsandor, August 12, 2007, 05:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

How do I apply simple strata to my terrain?  I was very familiar with the system in TG, but haven't figured out how in TG2.  I am working with a terrain I made from a .dem; I dont want to alter the terrain with a lot of displacement or fancy shears and outcrops, just simple texture banding with some detail. 

Help please.

choronr

I would suggest you try an 'image map shader'. I've never tried this; but, it deserves a try.

Saurav

It's quite simple if you want to get the TG v.9 strata effect.

Plug in an image map shader to the child of a surface layer.  You can control the distribution via the surface layer for the strata image.

old_blaggard

Make sure that you set the image projection correctly.  I've had luck with spherical projection for this purpose before.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bigben

Quote from: choronr on August 12, 2007, 05:23:46 PM
I would suggest you try an 'image map shader'. I've never tried this; but, it deserves a try.

You can go nuts with TG2 and image maps. Here's a sample TGD and strata map showing a couple of different things you can do with a greyscale image map. The best thing about TG2 is that you can create numerous combinations of strata scales and contrasts from just a single image.

You can also use colour images but where's the challenge in that ;)

gregsandor

Thanks guys.  I'm modeling Glencoe, Scotland and the strata really makes the scene.  The solution you posted works fine. 

Mr_Lamppost

Thanks for sharing that, something I have not experimented with.

P.S. thanks for the help with the "Vanishing Grass" 
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1990.0
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

bobbystahr

Although image maps as in old terragen do have their place as well. Applying them you have to select the Side Z[edges=x y] from the projection types and scale up the strata map you are using quite large...I used 1024x1024 for mine,repeat x y, was placed in the Center. I added the map as a surface then I added the greyscale version as a displace as a child layer, carefully duplicating all the settings on the Parent surface as a precaution. I did the same for the ground with a cracked mud map but displaced too much for my tast. Both Parent layers had distribution controlled thru the Parent Surface, also duplicated on the child layers, as a pre caution as well.
Check it out.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rcallicotte

I like the idea of a colored strata.  This might work.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?