Mission: Fluffy Photo Cloud

Started by FrankB, August 11, 2007, 08:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Here we go at attempt #1  (rendered at only 0.8 )

cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

Beautiful.  Like the dark blue and the clouds are awesome.  How did you make these?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Oh man that looks really amazing! Just like Calico said: such nice colours!
I'm also wondering how you made these  ;D

Martin

p.s. looking forward to attempt #2 ;)

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

RealUser

Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

FrankB

thanks guys!

this is attempt number 2. I have reduced the quality a wee bit so the file size become smaller.

Regards,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Hi Frank!

Thanks for posting a high-res picture of this. Seems you've only adjusted the colours a little?
It looks very good, adds a little bit more definition. Also nice is that the clouds in the background keep looking good as well.
Sometimes clouds look well at close-up but are ugly when viewing from a distance, or vice versa ;)
I think when it's about making these kind of clouds it's of great importance to find the right balance between the depths, densities and edge sharpnesses of the fractals(?)
Would you like to give a few directions on how these clouds were made?
It's really outstanding work! Are there more attempts coming?

Martin

Volker Harun

FrankB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 12, 2007, 05:30:05 AM
Hi Frank!

Thanks for posting a high-res picture of this. Seems you've only adjusted the colours a little?
It looks very good, adds a little bit more definition. Also nice is that the clouds in the background keep looking good as well.
Sometimes clouds look well at close-up but are ugly when viewing from a distance, or vice versa ;)
I think when it's about making these kind of clouds it's of great importance to find the right balance between the depths, densities and edge sharpnesses of the fractals(?)
Would you like to give a few directions on how these clouds were made?
It's really outstanding work! Are there more attempts coming?

Martin

Hi Martin,
well the first attempt was only a crop render at low quality, the high-res version in turn is only slightly different, but was done in full quality, more GI samples etc.
However, a third attmept of the same scene is currently rendering with less warping. I also felt the internal scattering was a bit too dark, hence the next version is more conservative in this regard.

For these type of clouds, I prefer an edge sharpness less than 1, and a density between 0.01 and 0.03. I usually also up the cloud colour towards more white, lower the default light propagation and enviro light. However, to me, two things are key:
- I use a specific density fractal to serve as a blend shader for the "real" density fractal. The blend shader is almost a black and white mask, and ensures that the clouds are not all over the place and there's more distance between clouds, and some predefined dimensions without comprimising on their size. Simply reducing coverage unfortunately also reduces the size of the clouds, and I don't want that to happen.
- the second most important thing is to save in openexr format, otherwise it becomes impossible to work out all these nice shades of cloud-white. If you had seen the final render image, it didn't look as exciting, only the ability to fine-tune a wider range of exposures brought up all these details.

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

Great.  I like this a lot.  The second one looks like rain clouds forming.

Would you mind explaining a tad bit more about the use of a "...density fractal to serve as a blend shader for the "real" density fractal."?  This sounds really like a good idea, but what is this doing really?  What does the second density fractal do that makes separation and controlling sizes of the clouds more in our control?

FrankB

Here's the final version:

thanks for the comments, guys.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

Quote from: calico on August 12, 2007, 01:54:39 PM
Great.  I like this a lot.  The second one looks like rain clouds forming.

Would you mind explaining a tad bit more about the use of a "...density fractal to serve as a blend shader for the "real" density fractal."?  This sounds really like a good idea, but what is this doing really?  What does the second density fractal do that makes separation and controlling sizes of the clouds more in our control?

It's probably easier to show you the blend shader tgc.

Regards,
Frank

bigben

Quote from: FrankB on August 12, 2007, 07:34:19 AM
...The blend shader is almost a black and white mask, and ensures that the clouds are not all over the place and there's more distance between clouds, and some predefined dimensions without comprimising on their size. Simply reducing coverage unfortunately also reduces the size of the clouds, and I don't want that to happen.
- the second most

Hi Frank

Very nice clouds.

You could try a colour adjust shader to adjust the contrast of this shader. That should provide you with a tweak for coverage. Contrast controlled by the difference between black and white point, raise or lower both by the same amount to increase/decrease coverage.

rcallicotte

:-[  Vunderbar.  Easier to explain this way sometimes.   This is great.

Thanks, Frank.