Mission: Fluffy Photo Cloud

Started by FrankB, August 11, 2007, 08:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Thanks a lot for sharing Frank! I was just about to go to sleep, almost 2:30 am here :o seems it's going to be half an hour later  ;D

Martin

Sethren

These clouds remind me of the overall pattern that Vue 6's spectral clouds produce but Vue being less realistic and simple looking volumetrics.

king_tiger_666

wonderful clouds ;D ;D, what did you change from the first image? with the clouds being lighter is it a result of leveling?.... also curious about render time at that high res ;D ;D ~desktop ;D
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

dhavalmistry

I actually came very close to what u have here....I created these clouds in around May and I didnt use any blending shader....and of course...they are not as good as your clouds Frank!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

These are also very nice clouds! Mind to share a tgc / settings?  ;D
Did you ever work out that scene? It's good looking! With a little bit of work on texturing of the terrain and rendering at higher quality it will definitely look very good!
Another thing which might also be interesting for this image is to decrease the gamma to 1.7 and increase contrast to about 0.35 in the rendersettings. Then increase camera-exposure to about 1.3-1.5. This will produce a much clearer render.
Well, let's get further on-topic ;)

Martin

king_tiger_666

hopefully sometime this decade my new clouds will be finished.... given ideas from this thread...
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

FrankB

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on August 12, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
wonderful clouds ;D ;D, what did you change from the first image? with the clouds being lighter is it a result of leveling?.... also curious about render time at that high res ;D ;D ~desktop ;D

I had increased the fake internal scattering which made the inside of the clouds lighter, but also slightly increased the GI lighting on clouds.
The render time was 18 hours in total, but effectively 9 hours per CPU core (two instances of TG2 rendering on AMD X2).

Regards,
Frank

rcallicotte

I've just learned a bunch through this, Frank.  Taking your clip file, I check-marked the Density Fractal's Density Tab's Clamp High and Clamp Low.  This was my result, after postwork with the tif (I only have access to Paint.Net).

Thanks Frank.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

nice calico....by the way....what exactly does clamp high and low checkboxes do??

old_blaggard

Clamp high and low essentially sets any value below zero to zero and any value above one to one.  Correct me if I'm wrong on this....
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Njen

Quote from: old_blaggard on August 14, 2007, 01:14:41 AM
Clamp high and low essentially sets any value below zero to zero and any value above one to one.  Correct me if I'm wrong on this....

That is correct.

sflynn

Quote from: dhavalmistry on August 12, 2007, 09:48:07 PM
I actually came very close to what u have here....I created these clouds in around May and I didnt use any blending shader....and of course...they are not as good as your clouds Frank!

As a side note...

I live on the US Gulf Coast. The clouds in this render look VERY much like ones I have seen in the days preceeding some of the tropical systems that have come through this area, most notably Hurricane Ivan and Hurricane Katrina. The clouds look almost "sticky" and seem to appear up to week before the systems come through. Whether it's coincidence, superstition or fact, I keep my eyes on the skies this time of year. ;)

Oshyan

Colors in the original (first) image are much, much better IMO, but all are very nice renders. Thanks for sharing the clip Frank. :)

- Oshyan

FrankB

a "final" final, with less color on the clouds.

dhavalmistry

very nice....just a concern....what are you cloud samples set to???....I think you should increase them just a little bit to get rid of the graininess near the edges of the clouds.....

I also wanna know how did you get the sky to be so dark blue (sorry for being a noob)