Strange flicker and fireflies on the anim render

Started by Ben Martin, July 13, 2015, 05:20:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Martin

Finally, The best settings for a balanced speed/quality render.
The changes from the default render settings are:

360 degree detail (optimal)
Fully adaptive OFF

Now, I need to read and learn more about these render settings, and figure out what they do.
The result, was a very solid render (final test render attached).

Again, many thanks to all that bothered on taking a look at this.

Kadri


Nice that you got it.
The flicker on the left walls is from encoding i suppose as you are pleased with the result Ben?

Hannes


Ben Martin

Kadri,

Not only the Encoding but also the render detail was kept at 0.5  :)
My friend told me that any decent render (for production) should be rendered at 0.75 minimum best at 0.8.
So, there is a lot for me to test and learn about Terragen.  8)

I'm happy with this latest render test, only in the sense that I got rid of the nasty fireflies and most of the noticeable flicker but it is far from standard production levels.
This result is not what I expect to deliver in a decent production. I do need more control and quality thus more render time per frame  ::)

Thanks for comment, Hannes.  ;)

Cheers.

Kadri

Quote from: Ben Martin on July 19, 2015, 01:49:58 pm
...
I do need more control and quality thus more render time per frame  ::)
...


In that aspect Terragen is kinda rendering in Lightwave with high Monte Carlo settings.
Probably not apples to apples but i think you know what i mean.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Ben Martin

July 20, 2015, 07:17:47 am #21 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:22:53 am by Ben Martin
Quote from: Kadri on July 19, 2015, 02:04:22 pm
In that aspect Terragen is kinda rendering in Lightwave with high Monte Carlo settings.
Probably not apples to apples but i think you know what i mean.


Yes, I do.  ;)
In fact, for landscapes (outside scenes), Lightwave does a great job using "Backdrop Only" Radiosity settings.
At lower settings, the render is very fast and much more accurate than "Monte Carlo".
Of course for "indoor" scenes, Monte Carlo is the only valid option.

As an example, this next attached clip was rendered in Lightwave with "Backdrop Only Radiosity.
Not the best but is delivers very well.

Cheers.

Ben Martin


Kadri

July 20, 2015, 07:31:57 am #23 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:43:41 am by Kadri
Quote from: Ben Martin on July 20, 2015, 07:17:47 am
...
Yes, I do.  ;)
In fact, for landscapes (outside scenes), Lightwave does a great job using "Backdrop Only" Radiosity settings.
At lower settings, the render is very fast and much more accurate than "Monte Carlo".
Of course for "indoor" scenes, Monte Carlo is the only valid option.
...


:)

O man! I love sci-fy...especially wrecks,spaceships etc. I love that scene.
The colors and composition is very nice.
Is this a standalone scene or for anything more big like a short movie etc.?

"Backdrop Only" Radiosity is very fast but haven't used it for a long time.
Was it less then 5-10 minutes for 1 frame ?

Ben Martin

Quote from: Kadri on July 20, 2015, 07:31:57 am
O man! I love sci-fy...especially wrecks,spaceships etc. I love that scene.
The colors and composition is very nice.
Is this a standalone scene or for anything more big like a short movie etc.?


Yup. It is for a sci-fi movie.  :)
The Terragen tests I've been doing are to "design" a workflow to use Terragen in that movie as well.

Cheers.