Painted shader and SSS issue

Started by AP, August 04, 2015, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I would like to know why there is a grey color along my masked region. I have never run into this problem before so i am confused as to what is causing it. All i need is some large scale negative displacement to work here without that color being there.

Matt

If you have strong negative displacement there, perhaps it is atmosphere. Its density increases exponentially as altitude decreases.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

That was one of the first thoughts i had but i wonder what is causing the grey color. I changed the haze color to red to see if it was the haze and it was not that. The atmosphere is all blue. I do not think it is a shadow. I did disable the atmosphere and the spot disappeared. Just odd.

AP

I changed the atmosphere color and yes, it is the atmosphere.

Matt

A dense enough atmosphere will converge on the "horizon colours" of the atmosphere. There is a Haze horizon colour which the haze converges to, and this defaults to grey. There is also a Bluesky horizon colour which the "bluesky" component converges to, which defaults to a slightly-blueish grey. So even if your haze density is 0, your bluesky density has the potential to converge on a blueish grey colour if the atmosphere gets dense enough or you look through a large enough distance.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

OK, that makes sense. Thank you. At least i know now what the issue is.    :)