Windows 10

Started by matrix2003, July 28, 2015, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Okay, so there's internet connectivity issues, display driver issues, and Win10 is really dumbed down for the masses.  Doesn't look like I can assign program priority and switch cores on and off anymore.  >:(

Because I access internet with a USB device, that's easily fixed by a reinstall.  I think I can fix my display issues with new drivers, as well.  Still, it feels a bit unpolished.  Also, it has a "designed for tablets" kind of feel to it.

Terragen works.  Modeller works, though is slow, but I think that's because my graphic card isn't working yet.

paq

Quote from: Upon Infinity on August 02, 2015, 07:31:53 PM
Doesn't look like I can assign program priority and switch cores on and off anymore.  >:(

Task Manager / detail : Right click on the task name, you can assign the cores from there (set affinity).
Gameloft

Upon Infinity

Ah, thanks.  Thought it'd be weird if they took it out.

I'd also like to say that Win10 works quite well on an old-ish machine.  All my programs seem to be functioning at least as well on Win7.  And the live tiles all work, with no lag, as well.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on August 03, 2015, 03:38:38 AM
Ah, thanks.  Thought it'd be weird if they took it out.

I'd also like to say that Win10 works quite well on an old-ish machine.  All my programs seem to be functioning at least as well on Win7.  And the live tiles all work, with no lag, as well.

out of curiosity which 7, Home or Pro and what video card...I have 7 Pro and a Radeon Saffire card and was waiting for the predicted October patch of all the screw ups but wouldn't mind knowing in advance some stuff
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Upon Infinity

Home and Zotac Nvidia Geforce.  Everything seems to be working now.

Oshyan

You should be able to disable the monitoring stuff if you desire. Read here for details and discussion: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=41367.0

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Another thing to report is that Microsoft did a major update to Direct X which vastly improves the performance of 3D graphics.  I was pleasantly surprised to notice my games running at a vastly improved frame rate.  Terragen's 3D preview is also sped up very noticeably. 

Dune

Ah, that makes it interesting to upgrade, though I read some reluctance here and there, and advice to better wait until near deadline for free upgrade (2016 I believe).

Upon Infinity

Yeah, it's free for a year after release.  So you have lots of time.  Just don't forget about it.

Oshyan

The new DirectX shouldn't actually affect TG at all as we use OpenGL, not DirectX. But there may well be other performance improvements (or newer driver optimizations for Win 10) that do affect TG.

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

I see.  It may have been my imagination (but I don't think it was).  Or maybe I'm so used to seeing a dramatic slowdown with a OS upgrade that I'm just glad it isn't slower than usual.  Can't measure it at this point.  Maybe someone who hasn't upgraded can time it and see.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 06, 2015, 07:13:35 AM
Ah, that makes it interesting to upgrade, though I read some reluctance here and there, and advice to better wait until near deadline for free upgrade (2016 I believe).

I think it depends on your version.  The OEM Win7Pro has 8 months left so they say to me when I open that lil window by mistake.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

Windows 10 won't download images from my camera, bah!

matrix2003

-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Upon Infinity

What camera MHaze

In other news, Windows 10 seems to slow down dramatically if left on for a couple of days (I almost always leave my PC on all the time).  Probably some memory leaks somewhere.  Fixed with a restart, in the short term anyway.  At least until MS closes the leaks.